Vaccine Boosters

Vaccine+Boosters

Dakota Creel, Staff Writer

The world is currently learning more about the ever-growing Omicron coronavirus variant. Meanwhile, the Delta variant continues to grow and spread across the United States. With the different variants of the virus spreading, it is becoming more apparent that booster shots are needed. Pfizer and BioNTech have released a statement explaining that a third dosage of the vaccine can help strengthen the immunity and help protect against the Omicron variant. 

Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health, commented that the findings were not surprising. “The data from Pfizer out this morning are not surprising. Actually, this is what we have been anticipating all along, that there’s good news and bad news — the bad news being that there’s some degree of immune escape, that two doses may not work as well as against previous variants. But I actually think that’s really good news that the third dose does appear to give that really significant additional boosting effect,” Wen told CNN. 

Dr. Wen even said that “it adds more reason for everybody to get a booster, certainly who’s eligible, but also I do hope that our federal health officials will be quick to reevaluate the definition of what it means to be fully vaccinated, especially in light of what we’re learning about Omicron.”

It has been recommended by the CDC that all eligible adults get the booster shot. This applies to adults who have gotten both the first and the second dosage of either the Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. Adults who have received the Johnson & Johnson shot up to two months ago are also eligible. 

Vaccine makers have supposedly known for months that the initial vaccination would lose its immunity with time and that a booster shot would eventually be needed. The booster shot is supposed to restore your immune system to its original immunity. Two different studies have shown that the Pfizer/BioNTech booster had reduced infections by a large amount and decreased the number of deaths by covid-19 by 90% in Israel. 

It is more evident that the booster shot not only helps restore your immunity but also helps protect you from new upcoming virus variants. It is now being advised that if you have not been vaccinated at all the option with the best outcome would be getting the first two doses, followed by the booster shot when the allowed time has passed.  

Pfizer and BioNTech are currently working on a vaccination that will specifically fight off the Omicron variant; it will hopefully be ready by March of 2022 if it is still needed.