Is Social Media Affecting Your Mental Health?

Brook Jackson, Staff Writer

A person’s mental health refers to their emotional, physiological, and social well-being. Mental health conditions have been issues that are getting worse by each year. Mental health conditions refer to a wide range of many different disorders that affect a person’s mood, thinking, and behavior. Even in current times dealing with Coronavirus, social media usage, and daily world problems, the amount of people suffering from mental health conditions has dramatically increased throughout the world. Social media is a bad habit that most people are guilty of and some may not realize how it is affecting their daily lives. 

In the United States, approximately 72% of the population uses some kind of social media platform. Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok are some of the most popular social media platforms used across America. Social media can inform people of recent news and keep up with friends and family, but in some way, there is always some negative outcome when spending time on social media. Social Media causes people to suffer from depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and sleep deprivation. Nearly one in five American adults suffer from mental health issues due to social media usage. When people post things that may offend other users, it may trigger people into a mental illness state of mind.

Social media mainly affects teens. Teens experience depression, anxiety, and other behaviors more than the average adult. Students who are in high school or work for a high school would say the mental health of girls is slightly worse than boys. Young women will compare themselves to other people or can be bullied for expressing themselves. Girls across America are guilty of comparing themselves to others. Doing so can be very dangerous and could possibly lead to an eating disorder. Cyberbullying has also been the main cause of suicide in teens. Another thing that has been related to depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem has to do with teens feeling they are missing out, also known as FOMO. Teens who feel left out may feel they are unliked or not as cool. The idea of “peaking” in high school for students may seem intimidating.

Social media can often confuse people when reading or watching things such as upcoming events, elections, and other interests that may be part of someone’s life. People tend to get confused because the human brain is getting two different sides of the story and it can be difficult to understand what’s actually going on. 

To lower depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem it is best to limit the amount of time being used on social media. A method that helps people is by giving themselves a certain time of the day to get on their phones. Some can simply talk to a friend, family member, or therapist for help to build their mental health