Are Vaccine Mandates Fair?

Clay Olderham, Staff Writer

Since the first confirmed United States COVID-19 case on January 21, 2020, we have been looking to cease the horrible pandemic that has destroyed people’s wallets, tore down businesses, and taken lives. From standing a certain distance from someone to getting a vaccine, the United States has tried plenty of things to stop or at least slow down the virus.

According to the CDC’s covid tracker, the United States has seen a total of 42,363,951 people infected with the COVID-19 virus; 677,086 of those people later on sadly perished (CDC). As we thought we were coming to somewhat of an end with the COVID-19 virus, another dangerous virus then struck. The United States has been in a panic about the new Delta variant. Being stronger and more than twice as contagious as the previous variants, the Delta variant has pushed the CDC to promote vaccinations even further to the United States population (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

As the number of COVID-19 cases has built up, more and more people have been getting the multi-branded vaccine. 212.5 million (64%) people in the United States have received at least one dose of the vaccine. 182.5 million (55%) people have received the second dosage of the vaccine; nearly 50 million (15%) people away from the goal set by President Joe Biden earlier in the year (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

Being the most populated state in the United States with nearly 40 million people, California has seen a whopping 4,441,390 positive COVID-19 cases and 67,928 unfortunate deaths. On the brighter side, California is now approaching 24 million fully vaccinated citizens and nearly 3 million have to receive their second dose of the vaccination (California Department Of Public Health).

On the other hand of your freedom, some places have began to mandate a vaccine for students, employees, and others to remain in their position.

Recently, a former San Jose officer- Sgt. David Gutierrez – resigned from the San Jose Police Department (SJPD) because of the new vaccine mandate. “First of all, it’s my religious belief. I also believe I’ve been given a choice about what to do with my body,” Sgt. David Gutierrez states.

Nearly 50 miles away, the Oakland Unified School District (86 elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools, with an additional 32 charter schools) has set a mandate for students – ages 12 and up – and staff to get the COVID-19 vaccine, but not all the people are for the new rule. “And how dare you demand that he go to school! How dare you not make it safe for my son to be in school. You taking a gamble with our children’s lives,” said a mother of a student attending in the Oakland Unified School District (Colton). 

As unvaccinated people are getting offered immunity with the vaccine, some places are offering physical incentives like money, tickets to sports games, and other prizes. As of September 22, 2021, there has been 7,787,823 people to receive their second dose of the vaccine since September 1, 2021, which means at this rate, 15,575,646 more people should receive their second dose of the vaccine in a 42-day period. (ourworldindata.org).