The Disappearance of Gabby Petito

Abigail Kinsey, Staff Writer

In June of 2021, Gabby Petito and her boyfriend Brian Laundrie went on a cross-country road trip. They took Gabby’s white Ford van and planned on travelling to the west coast and visit state and national parks across the western portion of the US. Gabby was reportedly particularly excited about this trip and frequently shared about it online. Suddenly, in August, all communication with Gabby abruptly stopped. 

The police had an encounter with the couple before Gabby’s disappearance, and apparently there was a fight that got physical between the two; which was in turn followed by an argument. The officers advised the two to spend the night separated from one another, and they said that they did not believe that this situation grew to the point of domestic violence. 

A 911 call from the same day describes that there was a domestic dispute that the caller wanted to report. The caller said there was a white van with a florida license plate that a man jumped in and drove off after repeatedly slapping a woman. 

On August 30th, Petito’s family received one last text message from her: “No service in Yosemite.” They do not believe this text is from her, though. 

September 1st, Brian returns back home in the same white Ford van without Gabby. 10 days later, Gabby’s family reports her as a missing person to the police, and the police move to question Brian. “We were essentially handed the information for their attorney,” says Taylor, the police spokesperson. 

Gabby’s family wrote a letter to Brian’s family, essentially begging them to tell them where Gabby is. This is not the first time they reached out to Brian’s family for information on the whereabouts of their daughter, and both times they refused to say anything. 

Several days later, Brian’s family reports that he is now missing. The police then worked on the whereabouts of both Brian and Gabby. Two days after that, human remains fitting the description of Gabby are found in Teton County, Wyoming. They are confirmed to be her remains two days after that, and Brian is still nowhere to be found.