Texas Laws Ban Abortion

Dakota Creel, Staff Writer

New Texas laws ban abortion. This new law forbids providers from prescribing drugs that would induce an abortion. It has been rumored that by the end of the year, Texas may have even more limitations on the ability to get an abortion then they already do. Greg Abbott, a republican governor, signed a new restriction prohibiting the mail order provision of medications that cause abortion. This restriction affects people seven weeks or further into their pregnancy. The previous restriction affected people ten weeks or further into their pregnancy. The new law takes place on December second. 

This new law has caused a recent outrage in the reproductive rights community. Many people disagree with this law because it affects the life of many women. Some people don’t believe that men should be creating laws that affect women’s bodies. The situation has even been taken to social media. A tiktok trend has been circulating, in regards to the new restrictions. The trend consists of women stating that men should, “keep their laws off of women’s bodies,” the trend has received a lot of attention in the past few weeks. 

Adrienne Kimmell, Naral Pro-Choice America acting president stated, “Anti-choice politicians in Texas are launching their attacks on abortion access from every angle imaginable.” Before the new laws had been signed, Texas already has some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country. In past month, a bill had been in the works the prohibited women from getting an abortion after six weeks into their pregnancy. Most women don’t know they’re pregnant six weeks into a pregnancy. The law would have essentially made abortion impossible in Texas. There was a widespread outrage when the supreme court refused an emergency request to block the law. It was calculated that one third of Texas citizens want to see abortion abolished completely. The exception to that would be if the pregnancy were to jeopardize the life of the mother. About half of Texas citizens want abortion to remain legal. 

People who willingly and knowingly disobey the law could be fined up to $10,000 and two years in prison. A physician is being sued for providing an abortion after six weeks into the pregnancy. “Now you actually do have somebody whose rights are being violated, who is being sued for doing something that the supreme court has said is constitutional and legal,” said Mark Jones, a professor of political science at Rice University. Dr. Alan Braid preformed an abortion, after six weeks into a pregnancy, in defiance of the new law. 

Many people have also compared the new abortion laws to the new covid-19 vacinee. “If Republicans are going to say nobody can tell you to get a shot they shouldn’t tell women what to do with their bodies either. I think they should be consistent,” said Felipe N. Gomez, of Chicago. Most people continue with the argument that men should not have any say in what women do with their bodies.