Mask Mandate Brings Mixed Emotions to the Table

Anti-maskers+at+the+Sarasota+County+School+Board.+

Anti-maskers at the Sarasota County School Board.

Abigail Kinsey, Staff Writer

The CDC announced in May that fully vaccinated people were not required to wear masks, but that all changed with new rising cases of the Covid-19 virus. Now, even fully vaccinated individuals are required to wear masks in areas with a high Covid-19 risk. This, of course, includes schools. 

While there are some people who don’t mind the mask mandate, some encourage it, there are also some people who are against wearing masks, and are holding protests. 

Angry parents have held protests against masks outside of many schools. They hold poster boards and gather at the entrance, demanding that their children shouldn’t have to wear a mask. Because of this, several states have banned school district from making masks mandatory, and have even threatened to fine them if they didn’t comply. The school districts will still recommend wearing a mask, but cannot make wearing one mandatory. It is in the schools best interests to create ways to keep the student’s healthy and safe, all while balancing the different political views of each parent and the ever changing pandemic conditions. 

Though some people are pushing for the mandate, claiming it will create a better learning environment and a sense of safety for the kids, and some are thoroughly against it, claiming that masks restrict breathing and pushing a mandate on them is a breach of government control, both sides can agree that these children need to get back to face-to-face learning in the classroom.