Will Our Lady Vikings Be Headed For A State Championship?

Northgate’s 2020 Flag Football team after their first win in the school’s history

Brook Jackson, Staff Writer

Flag football has become a new sport in Coweta County. Northgate started their first flag football team last year during the fall 2020.

In last year’s flag football season the Lady Vikings had a good run for the year. Their overall record ended up being 3-5-1. The season only consisted of nine games, in which they played Douglas County, Newnan High School, Westlake, Archer, and East Coweta High School. Coaches Todd Herrington and Lee McDermott prepared the Lady Vikings for a great 2020 season through their extensive teachings regarding the strategies of football.

The Lady Vikings’ first two games of the 2020 season were against Westlake. The Vikings ended up losing their first game but then ended up beating Westlake the second game with a final score of 30 to 20. Afterwards, the Vikings were preparing for the next two games against rival Newnan High School. The first gameagainst Newnan, the Lady Vikings ended up losing with a score of 6-0, but had a comeback the next game with a final score of 12-8. In their games against Douglas County, Northgate crushed Douglas County with a score of 12-0. Soon after that, the Lady Vikings prepared for the next rivalry team East Coweta. Unfortunately, the Vikings lost both games against East Coweta and then ending up losing the playoff game against Archer. 

Hopefully this year, the Lady Vikings will be ready to face head on against their opponents in the 2021 season. Now that former seniors like Caroline Smith and Brianna Whipple have graduated from Northgate, it will be interesting to see who will be starting in this year’s season.

In this year’s Flag football season, there will be a new coach, Maggie Horne, who is a teacher at Northgate High School. She is excited to be coaching a great group of girls.

Conditioning for this season starts on August 24th at 4:00. Other conditioning dates will be on 8/26, 9/2, 9/9, 9/14, 9,16. There will also be a parent and student meeting on August 26th in the new gym at 5:30. Tryouts will be held on September 20th at 4:00. Then the season finally starts on the 22nd of September. The first game will be on Tuesday, November 16th at 6:00 versus East Coweta High School on Northgate turf.

GO VIKINGS !