Tobey Maguire Will Always Be The Best Spider-Man

Ashfiq Islam, Staff Writer

When you think of Spider-Man, what do you think of? Maybe the quote “With great power comes great responsibility”, or maybe you think of the most recent actor to portray the role, Tom Holland. I think of Tobey Maguire, the first actor to play the superhero on the big screen. Without his franchise of movies, we probably wouldn’t have the superhero movies we have today. Tobey Maguire brought a different take on superhero movies when Spider-Man was released. 

Peter Parker is a relatable character. He’s a student who tries his best to do well in school and pay his rent and such, but can’t because life is overwhelming. He can’t seem to catch a break. On top of all of that, he can’t capture the attention of the girl he has a crush on. His relatableness is what drives Peter Parker to be the most popular comic book character ever. There’s no doubt in my mind that Tobey Maguire portrays Peter Parker perfectly. He has a nerdy look and he seems to be a loner in the world, compared to everyone else in the movies. 

One huge difference between Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland’s portrayal is the character’s involvement with other superheroes. Being set in the MCU, Tom Holland’s Peter Parker’s job as Spider-Man is a lot easier than Tobey Maguire’s. Holland can rely on other heroes to do his job for him in case he fails, Maguire can’t. He knows that he’s New York’s last hope. He knows that only he can save New York. 

Tobey Maguire played the wall-crawler for three movies. Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 3. The first two of the trilogy received rave reviews. The first movie served as an origin story for Spider-Man. The villain was William Dafoe’s Green Goblin, who portrayed the character really well. Spider-Man’s suit in the movie was outstanding. It was a new take, but it didn’t disappoint in any way. Spider-Man 2 was the best movie of the trilogy. It had a lot of emotions. In the movie, Spider-Man loses his power because he loses hope. He loses faith in himself and his strength. He gives up the suit at one point in the movie and focuses on his life as Peter Parker and forgets Spider-Man. His life goes well once he does that. He stops failing classes and can finally get a job so he can pay rent. But once the girl he has a crush on is captured and taken hostage by the villain of the movie, he becomes Spider-Man once again. He realizes that what he’s doing is for the greater good. Spider-Man became part of New York and he can’t just disappear. New York needs Spider-Man and Peter has to provide it. 

The third movie isn’t as bad as most feel  in my opinion. Even though the movie isn’t supposed to be a finale, it felt like one. There’s a scene in the movie where Peter Parker has decided to dawn the suit that he originally wore in the first movie. (Throughout the movie he had the symbolize suit which made him stronger but more violent and made him push everyone out of his life). This scene is beautiful. The music arises as Peter pulls the briefcase out from under his bed and takes out the suit. You can hear the iconic Spider-Man “Responsibility” theme playing in the background. I’d venture to say that this is the second-best scene in the trilogy, right after the iconic train scene. The movie ends with Peter Parker and his life long crush embracing in a hug. It’s the perfect way to end such an iconic series, as these three movies haven’t been the story of Spider-Man, it’s been the story of the man underneath the mask. It’s the story of Peter Parker, which is portrayed beautifully. 

I think the main reason that Tobey Maguire’s portrayal will always be the best is because of the emotion put into these movies. In these movies, you feel like you know Peter Parker. You feel bad for him. You want to help him. You feel attached. You don’t feel this level of emotional attachment in the “The Amazing Spider-Man” and the MCU Spider-Man series. Peter Parker is his own hero in these films. Sure, there are no other heroes in Andrew’s Garfield’s portrayal, but in his life as Peter Parker, there are no huge emotional moments. Sure a number of people he loved may have died, but the movies screwed that over because he gave up on finding the killer of his uncle and the third movie was canceled before we could get a real sense of closure on the death of Gwen Stacy. In the MCU films, there’s nowhere near this level of emotion. Uncle Ben is skipped over and never referenced, and Tony Stark replaces him, but it just isn’t the same as Uncle Ben. 

Tobey Maguire’s films all portray the steps of Spider-Man and Peter Parker. All the emotional and mental steps. All the steps he took to become Spider-Man, the real Spider-Man. So please, Sony and Marvel, make a multiverse, and have Tobey Maguire appear, or at least produce Spider-Man 4. It’d be the single greatest piece of fan service in history. 

Well that’s the end of the article but I’ve decided to rank all the Spider-Man movies in order from best to worst in case you want to see them based on my opinion.

1. Spider-Man 2
  2. Spider-Man 
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Spider-Man 3
  5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  6. Into the Spiderverse 
  7. The Amazing Spider-Man
  8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2