2 Dead, 3 Injured in Shooting at Saugus High School

Mahle Gangi, Staff Writer

On Thursday, November 14th, a student at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California opened fire killing one person and injuring at least 5 others. The suspect began shooting approximately 20 minutes before the school day officially began, which alerted students that the ensuing chaos was not a result of a poorly timed drill. Students reacted to the gunfire by hiding or fleeing the building during the 16 second attack.

The victims were taken to a hospital where 2 students passed away as a result of their wounds and three others were reportedly in critical condition. The deceased were a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy. Schools in the district were put on lockdown as authorities searched for the suspect, 16-year-old Nathaniel Berhow who they believed was on the run. They later found Berhow on Saugus High’s campus with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Recent reports say that Berhow is in critical condition at the hospital treating him. 

Before the shooting, Berhow’s Instagram bio read, “Saugus have fun at school tomorrow.” Following the shooting, the bio was changed and authorities have yet to uncover who was responsible. They currently suspect that it was either a hacker or potentially an accessory to the shooting. Berhow’s classmates are shocked and have told media outlets that they would never have suspected something like this from him. Authorities are continuing to investigate at this time.