The Impact of Art

The Impact of Art

Caroline Carter, Staff Writer

Whether you create it, observe it, hear it, touch it, or simply feel it, art has an impact on everyone. While some students and faculty members disagree, the arts are a crucial part of the brain’s development. Art helps the learner’s observational skills, problem-solving skills, social skills, and creativity. Studies show that integrating art into the curriculum helps students become more engaged in the subject matter. Art also has multiple mental health benefits and is seen as a healthy outlet for negative emotions.

Incorporating the arts into education, especially with growing children, has been proven to help students keep their focus, think creatively, and improve the development of their motor skills. The arts create challenges for everyone, and the learner must find a creative solution. This could help students later on in life, as they will inevitably need to make important decisions. Memorizing a monologue, finishing a painting, or learning to play an instrument requires focus, which is crucial in the classroom as well as future careers. It is important for students to learn to collaborate with others, and while group projects can help achieve this goal, there will always be a few students who put in little to no effort. Teamwork is an integral part of activities such as band, chorus, and theater, which brings students together to reach a common goal, even if they have a “small part.”

Anyone can enjoy creating and/or observing art. Some studies indicate that art therapy can help people with things like anxiety, PTSD, depression, loss, eating disorders, relationship issues, addictions, trauma, etc. Stress can be physically and emotionally draining, but creating and enjoying art can help take some of the weight off of your shoulders. While art therapy can’t miraculously solve your problems, it provides a healthy outlet to express yourself.

The arts are constantly evolving, but they also remain timeless. Amongst other benefits, they can teach you patience and perseverance, which are qualities needed to be successful in every field. Creating and observing the arts can help you deal with internal stress and provide a safe environment for self expression. It is important for people to be exposed to the arts, especially from a young age.  They play an integral role in “the real world” by teaching the core values of a good work ethic. No matter how you view them, the arts have influenced the word around you.

Works Cited
Martin, Lauren. “10 Reasons Why Arts in Education Is so Important for Kids.” Learning LiftoffPublished 15 August 2018, https://www.learningliftoff.com/10-reasons-arts-in-education-important-kids/. Accessed 23 October 2019
“Arts Integration in School: 10 Reasons Why it’s Important.” Seneca Academyhttps://www.senecaacademy.org/10-reasons-why-integrating-art-is-important-in-school/Accessed 22 October 2019.
“Creativity and Recovery: The Mental Health Benefits of Art Therapy.” Resources to RecoveryPublished 12 March 2019, https://www.rtor.org/2018/07/10/benefits-of-art-therapy/
Accessed 22 October 2019.