Viking Runners are Building Up Team for Next Season

Abby Collins, Staff Writer

It’s the end of the 2018-2019 school year, and the Northgate High School cross country team has already hit the ground running to prepare for the upcoming season. After a season last fall that exceeded the viking runners’ expectations, standards have been set high for Northgate cross country. The most recent team of varsity boys dominated, claiming the first place title for all 6-A teams in the region and placing eighth at the state meet. The girls varsity team ran fantastically all season as well, earning the runner-up title for the region. While both teams are eager to discover what next season has in store, the team will have to overcome the challenge of losing top runners. A significant number of top spots on both varsity teams has consisted of seniors, so this season, junior varsity athletes will be stepping up to carry on the legacy that the alumni have left behind. Needless to say, those are some big shoes to fill. It is crucial that the team gets down to business to fill those spots.  

As a runner for Northgate cross country, I highly encourage any interested Northgate student to join, especially females. With barely enough girl runners to fill the varsity team spots, and several phenomenal athletes graduating, the Lady Vikings cross country team needs all of the contributors they can get in order to build up a new varsity team to bring to state and region. However, while new membership is important to the team as a whole, cross country running is overall a life-changing experience for every individual who participates.

Any member, including myself, would describe cross country as one of the hardest but most rewarding ventures they have ever pursued. By the end of just one season, many can agree that joining the team was the best decision they ever made, despite any hesitation they had going into it. There is no denying that running is difficult, but for cross country runners, the sport is about so much more than pounding your feet on the pavement. Cross country is about the bonds that form between those who endure these physical and mental challenges together. Teammates are there to support one another through every run, the good races and the bad ones. Cross country is a very unique sport in this aspect; the kind of friendships formed through it are not found anywhere else. Mentally and physically, running can change a person.

Anyone who joins the team will not regret it! It is the perfect way to benefit yourself physically, make wonderful friends, and contribute to the rebuilding process that will take place in the upcoming season. Students who are interested in running cross country can contact Coach Bradley Wilson or any of the current member for more information. Everyone is welcome!