The Non-Traditional College Route

The Non-Traditional College Route

Mia Fisher, Staff Writer

College is the main pathway for may students after high school. Going to college is seen as one of the only ways to be deemed successful in the society we live in. There are various types of colleges and multiple approaches a student can take in pursuing a post-secondary education. The most advocated approach, made by teachers, is for a typical four year institute.

A community college is commonly known as a two year non-residential junior college. It is a place where you can graduate with a specialized associates degree for a lesser amount of money compared to the typical four year college. For these reasons community colleges have a negative connotation. Some people believe that the education received at a community college does not meet the standards of a four year institute due to how inexpensive it is.  As the years progress, this stigma around community colleges has decreased, meaning more and more students are choosing the non-traditional approach of community college.

There are many colleges in Georgia that offer the route of community college, but the one that has the most recognition is Georgia State University Perimeter College. Originally, Georgia State University was a typical four year institute without any other appendages, when the board of directors noticed the sudden rise in the enrollment at the surrounding community colleges. So in 1997 Georgia State University took over those campuses and made them their own, adding to the original Georgia State University’s student enrollment. The Perimeter Community College offers the same exact programs the four year institute offers with like minded  professors, just with a smaller interval of time. The Georgia State University Perimeter College has six convenient locations all over Atlanta, sweetening the deal.

Going to a community college is a non traditional route to take after high school, but that does not mean it is a route that should not be taken.