Young Voters Should Start Paying Attention to the 2020 Election

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Once again, this generation of young people is changing the world. Whether marching for gun control or climate change, each youth-led protest finds its way into international headlines and on magazine covers. Youth voter turnouts are no stranger to the public. The students who founded the organization March For Our Lives to impose gun control in the U.S. legislation held a national registration drive in late 2018 to promote voter registration in young people. Over 800,000 total people were registered to vote by National Voter Registration Day as a result. After this emphasis, 31 percent of eligible youth voters cast a ballot in the 2018 midterm election, the highest level of participation in a midterm election in 25 years.

While the next presidential election may seem far away, the power of youth vote remains. After 2016’s historical outcome, the next race may be the most crucial one to participate in. Only half of eligible young people voted in the last presidential race, but more are expected to cast a ballot in 2020.

Unlike the Democratic side, the Republican ballot is set, with President Donald Trump being the only official candidate at this time. However, former Massachusetts Governor William Weld has formed an exploratory committee to announce a possible run. Ex Ohio Governor John Kasich and former Tennessee Senator Bob Corker are expected to potentially challenge Trump in the Republican primaries.

At least 15 candidates have already announced their run as a Democratic nominee: Senator Bernie Sanders, Sen. Kamala Harris, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Sen. Cory Booker, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Representative Tulsi Gabbard, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, former Rep. John Delaney, Governor Jay Inslee, former Gov. John Hickenlooper, former Mayor Julian Castro, former tech executive Andrew Yang, and author Marianne Williamson. Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg has formed an exploratory committee to officially announce his candidacy. Former Vice President Joe Biden has also announced his bid for the 2020 election, and plans on choosing Georgia’s own Stacey Abrams as his running mate.

Trump currently leads the Republican party with 76 percent support among conservative voters, while Biden, Sanders, Harris, and O’Rourke lead the left, respectively. For Democratic voters, participating in the primary election is just as important as the general election. Learning about candidates and their policies today will better prepare young 2020 voters and their ballot for the future of the country.