High School Relationships

High School Relationships

Lexi Hennig, Staff Writer

It is an obviously clear statistic that 95% of high school relationships end in high school. Why is that exactly?

During the interview, I asked each girl the same question, why do you think high school relationships don’t last? Hannah Thomas answered with, “We grow up, we change and our expectations change with us.” Following that, Marli Pickford added, “High school is for experiences, not serious relationships.” These statements are both very valid points and they have caused yet another question. What causes the inability to maintain a serious relationship? Is growing up a primary factor?

Fallon Carleo has concluded that growing up does play a large roll in this topic. When discussing experiences versus serious relationships, Fallon said, “Teenage individuals aren’t sure what they want in relationships because they don’t even know who they are yet. When trying to find themselves, people often date others to help fill the void of self confusion.” In return Elizabeth Hinely said, “Our brains don’t fully develop until were 25, so we are not mature enough to know what realistic relationships are like. We typically have super high or super low standards.” Standards are the prime factors of expectations.

As stated by Jade Zuccala and MK Riordan, expectations also play a significant role in the failure of high school relationships. Jade began with, “Teens today are presented with so much pressure to have relationships that fit into a cookie-cutter category. They are expected to be in a perfect relationship where everything is planned out and expected. And that is never the case.” MK agreed with this completely and added, “Everyone expects their significant other to be perfect, and they have a fairytale picture in their head about how their relationship is supposed to look when in reality relationships come with hardship. People get upset when their relationship doesn’t meet the ‘fairytale’ expectation and decide they want something ‘better,’ but the truth is a relationship gets stronger and grows deeper with the hardships that come with it.”

After the interviews came to a close, the question had been answered whole heartedly. 95% of high school relationships don’t last past high school because of maturity level, expectations, and the process of finding oneself while growing up.

Lexi Hennig, Staff Writer

My name is Alexis Hennig, a current senior at NGHS. My friends and family know me by Lex or Lexi. I prefer it that way. After graduation I plan on going...

• High School Relationships

Food

Childhood Obesity Rates

• High School Relationships

Opinions

The Non-Traditional College Route

• High School Relationships

Charges Dropped in Jussie Smollett Case

• High School Relationships

Is There a Wage Gap Between Male and Female Athletes?

• High School Relationships

Oil Companies Invest in Climate Change Aid

• High School Relationships

Pi’erre Bourne

• High School Relationships

Who is Mike Gravel?

• High School Relationships

Mother of Six Drives her Family Off Cliff in California While Wife Googles How Much They Would Suffer

• High School Relationships

Billboard’s Removal of “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X Shows Country Music’s True Colors

• High School Relationships

Recent Suicides Call For Mental Health Awareness

High School Relationships