Serena Abweh

Emily Nesbitt, Staff Writer

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), 24 million Americans have eating disorders. The victims of eating disorders often die of heart failure, organ failure, malnutrition, or suicide. All of these are linked back to their eating disorder. Eating disorders have the highest fatality rate out of all mental illness. Those who suffer from eating disorders are known to compare themselves to others, and social media can play a large role in this. However, for some victims social media is a platform to help them recover.

Serena Abweh is 18 years old and an ED survivor. She used her instagram account @rena_serenaa to overcome disordered eating with powerlifting and fitness. Abweh first created her account in 2012, and in 2015 she posted her first weightlifting video. At the time she was deadlifting 115lbs, now she has a personal record (PR) of 280lbs. With 65.5k followers, she remains positive and motivational through her Instagram posts. Serena has inspired thousands of people to overcome their personal challenges and hardships. Serena captioned one of her post, “Something good always comes out of your struggle. You just have to be strong enough to fight through it.” She has recently been invited to compete in Sweden for the International Powerlifting Federation. She will be representing the United States as a 47kg Junior.

Overcoming an eating disorder is very challenging and Serena Abweh is an inspiration to many. Awareness of anorexia and associated disorders can help save lives. Abweh and so many others are shining a light on the struggles of defeating your mental illness. More than two hundred thousand cases are reported a year when it comes anorexia. The battle with anorexia is long and requires mass amounts of effort. Serena´s story has brought hope to others with eating disorders and lifted them back up onto their feet.

Emily Nesbitt, Staff Writer

Emily Nesbitt is a Freshman at Northgate High School. She loves to travel, hike, and try new foods. Emily’s hobbies include rowing at Peachtree City...

• Serena Abweh

2019’s State Art Show

• Serena Abweh

College- How Much Does it Matter?

• Serena Abweh

Nationwide Youth Climate Strike

• Serena Abweh

Vaccines: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• Serena Abweh

The Absolute Stupidity of the Rich Parents Involved in the Illegal College Admissions Scheme

• Serena Abweh

Literary Arts

Why Schools Should Do Choice Reads

• Serena Abweh

50 People Killed By White Supremacist in Two New Zealand Mosques

• Serena Abweh

College Crimes: The Rich and Famous

• Serena Abweh

NASA Announces First All-Female Spacewalk

• Serena Abweh

Lori Loughlin College Cheating Scandal

Serena Abweh