Female Athletes Are Fighting for Their Rights

Abby Collins, Staff Writer

Over recent years, there has been a revolution in the realm of sports; women have changed the game, proving to society just how strong they are. It seems like with each Olympic Games comes the emerging of a new female star athlete, and around the world, women are setting and breaking their own athletic world records. A century ago, this idea would have been almost unheard of, but times have changed. Social norms and gender roles have adjusted, resulting in women feeling more empowered than ever to participate in sports just as men do. However, a majority of female athletes believe that gender inequality still exists in sports.

Research supports these beliefs and has specifically highlighted the problem that a pay gap exists between male and female professional athletes. When the United States’ women’s soccer team was victorious in winning the World Cup, they received only a fraction of the pay that the men’s team received after simply competing in the World Cup. This inequality does not end with soccer; it exists throughout the entire professional sports industry.

However, in the past week, this issue of equality for women athletes has made headlines, as the U.S. women’s soccer team filed a gender discrimination lawsuit against the United States’ Soccer Federation. According to the players, “[The women’s soccer team] plays more games than the men’s team- and wins more of them- yet receives less pay” (Mervosh 2). Also, the female team described unfair treatment they have received under the U.S.S.F. regarding times and dates of matches, medical care, training, coaching, and ways of travel. The team has publicly expressed their unfair experiences with the federation in the past, but their decision to take action against them has brought increasingly more media attention. Many are hoping that the situation can bring light to the issue of athletic gender discrimination and bring about changes in all sports.

Abby Collins, Staff Writer

Abby Collins is a sophomore and first time journalism student at Northgate. She is a member of the cross country team and the swim team, serves weekly...

• Female Athletes Are Fighting for Their Rights

2019’s State Art Show

College- How Much Does it Matter?

Nationwide Youth Climate Strike

Vaccines: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Absolute Stupidity of the Rich Parents Involved in the Illegal College Admissions Scheme

Literary Arts

Why Schools Should Do Choice Reads

50 People Killed By White Supremacist in Two New Zealand Mosques

College Crimes: The Rich and Famous

NASA Announces First All-Female Spacewalk

Lori Loughlin College Cheating Scandal