Pelosi Claps Back

Pelosi Claps Back

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Tuesday night’s State of the Union Address was bound to be full of surprises from the President. While this was not untrue, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was the real star of the show. She sat quietly, occasionally disapproving with Trump’s remarks. But she could not hold back when Trump said, “We must reject the politics of revenge, resistance and retribution and embrace the boundless potential of cooperation, compromise and the common good.” Pelosi then leaned forward from behind the podium, smirking as she applauded the President’s statement. Not even seconds later, Twitter blew up with the second-long clip, turning it into a meme. It was trending by the next morning; over 222,000 accounts mentioned Pelosi.

In reply to her overnight sensation, the House Speaker said she was not clapping sarcastically. “Look at what I was applauding. I wanted him to know that it was very welcomed.” Pelosi’s daughter, Christine, quoted the picture on Twitter, using the hashtag, “you tried it.”

Many reactions take note of the petty clap, noting it as an overall Democratic reaction to the President’s speech. The hostility was not appreciated by all, however. Many called it childish and disrespectful, especially in regards to her focused attention on the speech’s paper copy. Hosts Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, and Seth Meyers were quick to discuss the Speaker on their television shows, Colbert even comparing the Trump-Pelosi interaction to Marie Kondo and a lack of sparked joy. Nevertheless, this State of the Union moment was dubbed the “photo of the century” for a reason, as it seems to sum up the political tension currently evident in Washington, DC.

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Emily Dozier is a senior in Journalism 4 at Northgate. After high school, she plans to pursue a degree in journalism and communications while playing college...

• Pelosi Claps Back

2019’s State Art Show

• Pelosi Claps Back

College- How Much Does it Matter?

• Pelosi Claps Back

Nationwide Youth Climate Strike

• Pelosi Claps Back

Vaccines: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• Pelosi Claps Back

The Absolute Stupidity of the Rich Parents Involved in the Illegal College Admissions Scheme

• Pelosi Claps Back

Literary Arts

Why Schools Should Do Choice Reads

• Pelosi Claps Back

50 People Killed By White Supremacist in Two New Zealand Mosques

• Pelosi Claps Back

College Crimes: The Rich and Famous

• Pelosi Claps Back

NASA Announces First All-Female Spacewalk

• Pelosi Claps Back

Lori Loughlin College Cheating Scandal

Pelosi Claps Back