Remember Brexit? Well, The Process Is Still Ongoing

Coby Washo, Staff Writer

All the way back in June of 2016, the citizens of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. About two and a half years later, the process of the UK formally leaving the EU continues. This process has been ongoing since March 19th of 2017, when Prime Minister Theresa May triggered Article 50, which gave the UK two years to negotiate a deal to leave the EU. Since then, Theresa May narrowly survived a vote of no confidence (which would have removed her from office if it had passed), and May and the EU came to an agreement on a deal for the UK to leave the EU. This deal was voted on in the UK House of Commons (the UK’s legislative body) on January 15th of 2019, and was overwhelmingly rejected 202-432, with 118 members of May’s own party voting against the deal. With May’s deal off the table, what happens now?

The first possible outcome would be a “No Deal Brexit” in which the UK will leave the EU on the set date of March 30, 2019 even if the EU and UK have not agreed on a deal up to that date. Some argue that this would be the best possible option, as this would allow the UK to still negotiate a trade deal with the EU, but many others are concerned of huge price hikes in essential goods like food and medicine resulting from increased tariffs from the EU.

Another possible option would be for Theresa May to call a popular vote on either her deal, or her government itself. The latter would be risky, as May’s Conservative Party lost its majority in government in an election back in 2017, and is only in power because of an agreement made with the Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland. As for the former, the ballot would most likely be “Leave with the government deal vs Leave with no deal.”

Another option, the preferred option for the main opposition to the Conservative Party, the Labour Party, would be a vote of no confidence. A vote of no confidence would need a simple majority in parliament, and if passed, would remove May from office as Prime Minister. Negotiations will then take place for a new government to take power, and if no potential government garners a majority of votes in parliament, a general election will take place.

One last option would be for re-negotiations to take place between the EU and UK. Some members of parliament have argued that Jeremy Corbyn (leader of the Labour Party), or Boris Johnson (a well-known supporter of Brexit) could conduct the negotiations. However, both the EU and Theresa May have both stated that May’s deal was the only possible deal.

Coby Washo, Staff Writer

Coby Washo is a senior at Northgate High School. His primary interests include soccer, politics, and history. He will attend the University of Georgia...

• Remember Brexit? Well, The Process Is Still Ongoing

The Importance of Foreign Language

Georgia’s Stacey Abrams Gives Democratic response to SOTU

Viking Swimmers Excel in County, Advance to State

Why It Doesn’t Really Matter If You Didn’t Watch Super Bowl LIII

Four African-American Girls Allegedly Strip Searched in New York Middle School

Now is a Good Time to Start Worrying about the Survival of Mankind

Global Warming Continues to Creep, Contrary to Polar Vortex

Pelosi Claps Back

• Showcase

Kennedy Eltz: Bringing Honor to Northgate

Jussie Smollett of “Empire” Attacked in Potential Hate Crime