Vaping Gone Wild

Vaping Gone Wild

Brooke Jordan, Staff Writer

Juul, Air, Drop, Badge, Novo.  These are all electronic vaporizers that are meant to decrease the amount of adult smokers in America. These products were designed and created for adults addicted to the nicotine. The point of these products, is to give those addicted to the thousands of bad chemicals in cigarettes, a ¨healthy¨ alternative that supposedly leads to quitting. Unfortunately, in the last 3 years, this has led to an epidemic of teenagers vaping.

High school students witness a lot of the stereotypes and see what really happens behind high school walls. National public radio states that 1 in 5 high school students vape. (Teen Vaping Soared in 2018). Because most high school seniors are 18, they can legally purchase these nicotine products from vape stores. This being said, the ¨cool¨ kids will go buy under aged high school students vapes and other nicotine products to uphold their popularity in school.

All across the United States, many kids and teens, ranging from the ages of 12-17 vape. Unfortunately, the underage vaping rates have drastically increased from 2017 to now. The FDA has changed the legal age to purchase Juul products from 18 to 21. The FDA has also removed the following Juul pods from convenience stores: fruit medley, mango, and cucumber.  

The problem with these under aged kids getting into vaping is the risk of addiction. Teenagers are starting an addiction that could last their whole lifetime at such young ages. Nicotine affects the brain of teens and can lead to anxiety and depression. Due to lack of research on these devices, non-smokers should not take part in this activity knowing the serious consequences and many other unknown risks.

Work Cited
“Vaping, Juuling Are the New Smoking for High School Kids.” NBCNews.com, NBCUniversal News Group, www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/vaping-juuling-are-new-smoking-high-school-kids-n881121.
Zernike, Kate. “’I Can’t Stop’: Schools Struggle With Vaping Explosion.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 2 Apr. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/health/vaping-ecigarettes-addiction-teen.html.
Brooke Jordan, Staff Writer

Brooke Jordan is a junior at Northgate High school. She has cheered at Northgate for four seasons. She cheered her 8th grade year on junior varsity and...

• Vaping Gone Wild

Food

Childhood Obesity Rates

• Vaping Gone Wild

Opinions

The Non-Traditional College Route

• Vaping Gone Wild

Charges Dropped in Jussie Smollett Case

• Vaping Gone Wild

Is There a Wage Gap Between Male and Female Athletes?

• Vaping Gone Wild

Oil Companies Invest in Climate Change Aid

• Vaping Gone Wild

Pi’erre Bourne

• Vaping Gone Wild

Who is Mike Gravel?

• Vaping Gone Wild

Mother of Six Drives her Family Off Cliff in California While Wife Googles How Much They Would Suffer

• Vaping Gone Wild

Billboard’s Removal of “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X Shows Country Music’s True Colors

• Vaping Gone Wild

Recent Suicides Call For Mental Health Awareness

Vaping Gone Wild