2019 Oscar Nominations

2019 Oscar Nominations

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

A year after the Oscars sunk to a record low of 26.5 million viewers, the 91st Academy Awards show hopes to garner more viewers in 2019. Many of last year’s most celebrated movies like A Star Is Born and Black Panther will take the stage. While there were many surprising snubs and dubs with the nominations, this year’s nominees are bound to make history.

Despite not producing originals until recently, Netflix’s star Roma received ten nods, tied for the most nominations, one falling under the category of Best Picture. This is the first time since 2013 that any foreign film has been nominated for Best Picture. None of these films has ever won the award. Lead actress Yalitza Aparicio gets her name on the list of Lead Actress, a rare recognition for an indigenous woman. Her co-star Marina de Tavira received a nomination for Best Supporting Actress as well, making Roma even more of a double whammy for the leading women. Alfonso Cuarón, director, got nods under Direction, Cinematography, and Original Screenplay. Netflix’s The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and RBG got nods to at least one category as well.

The Favourite tied with Roma for the most nominations at ten. These nominations include Lead Actress (Olivia Colman), Supporting Actress (Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone), Direction (Yorgos Lanthimos), and Costume Designing (Sandy Powell). The Favourite is admired for its inclusivity, as it features a lesbian love triangle.

Joining the rise of women in film is Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper’s A Star Is Born. Cooper, nominated for Lead Actor, was widely predicted to be a nominee under the direction category, but fell short. Gaga also garnered nominations for Lead Actress and Songwriting. In total, this heart-wrenching drama received eight Oscar nominations. This came as a shocking surprise to many.

2018’s top grossing movie, Black Panther, was nominated for seven categories, four of them belonging to a music and sound category. Just like the film did, the nominations make history, as Hannah Beachler has become the first African-American to be honored for Production Design. Black Panther is also the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

While this year’s nominations are being praised for being more inclusive, a few years later after being dubbed #OscarsSoWhite, the categories still lack diversity. Only one black actor and one black actress are nominated out of 20 people. 84% of the nominees are white and 69% are male. In fact, all editing, cinematography, directing, and original screenplay nominees are men. Crazy Rich Asians, one of last year’s most hyped movies, failed to receive any nods to this year’s awards ceremony.

This year’s Oscars are set to air February 24th on ABC. The nominees for Best Picture, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, and Director are as follows:

BEST PICTURE

“Black Panther”

“BlacKkKlansman”

“Bohemian Rhapsody”

“The Favourite”

“Green Book”

“Roma”

“A Star Is Born”

“Vice”

LEAD ACTOR

Christian Bale, “Vice”

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”

Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”

Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

LEAD ACTRESS

Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”

Glenn Close, “The Wife”

Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”

Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”

Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”

Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”

Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”

Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams, “Vice”

Marina de Tavira, “Roma”

Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”

Emma Stone, “The Favourite”

Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Director

Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”

Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”

Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”

Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”

Adam McKay, “Vice”

A full list of categories and nominations can be found at: https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2019/index.html
Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Emily Dozier is a senior in Journalism 4 at Northgate. After high school, she plans to pursue a degree in journalism and communications while playing college...

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Food

Childhood Obesity Rates

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Opinions

The Non-Traditional College Route

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Charges Dropped in Jussie Smollett Case

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Is There a Wage Gap Between Male and Female Athletes?

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Oil Companies Invest in Climate Change Aid

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Pi’erre Bourne

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Who is Mike Gravel?

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Mother of Six Drives her Family Off Cliff in California While Wife Googles How Much They Would Suffer

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Billboard’s Removal of “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X Shows Country Music’s True Colors

• 2019 Oscar Nominations

Recent Suicides Call For Mental Health Awareness

2019 Oscar Nominations