Chris Brown Arrested in Paris on Allegations of Rape

Mahle Gangi, Staff Writer

Chris Brown was arrested in Paris due to rape allegations and drug allegations on January 22, 2019. He was detained with two other unidentified people and the U.S. Embassy in Paris has not made further comments regarding the arrest.

This is not the first encounter Brown has had with the law. Most notably, he faced physical assault charges brought on by his then-girlfriend, Rihanna, back in 2009. Brown was found guilty. Brown was charged with felony assault and sentenced to 5 years of community service and probation. Other charges related to violence and battery have landed him a $2,000 fine, a stint in prison, and transfers from rehab facility to rehab facility. An abundance of violent charges have been brought against Brown over the past decade, so tacking on a rape allegation  was no surprise to avid listeners of R&B and hip hop.

After seeing the headline, seemingly very few received the news with shock. It is almost as if people have been waiting for a headline such as this. Why, then, do we as music listeners continue to make these criminals famous? Most recently, Tekashi 6ix9ine, a hip hop artist with allegations of pedophilia, has risen to fame as a result. Despite irrefutable video evidence, 6ix9ine has amassed 15.5 million Instagram followers, almost 500,000 Twitter followers, and has 27.6 million monthly listeners on Spotify alone. Disgustingly eye-catching charges allow predators to gain more traction as natural human curiosity leads people to listen to the music, watch the movies, and talk about the artists. The phrase, “any publicity is good publicity” sounds awful, but it’s true. Whether the media portrays them as monsters or not, the media is still enabling them, spreading the word about these artists, and in turn, their art.

Unfortunately, this means there is no real solution to be drawn from this headline or any other scandal. Sensationalizing jaw-dropping crimes is not a modern development, but rather something that has been happening since the genesis of widespread media. Even before newspapers, news of criminals traveled by word of mouth. The only thing we can do as consumers is understand that while these stories are shocking, they are ultimately disgusting and an opportunity to look in from the outside. Using these stories to create a dialogue about who to support is the best way for us to turn these sensationalized stories from negative to positive. Dialogue is the best way for us to be proactive and hold even the most powerful of people accountable for their actions. Chris Brown might not be a surprise, but who knows what will be a surprise tomorrow?

Mahle Gangi, Staff Writer

Mahle Gangi is a sophomore at Northgate High School and is in her second semester in Journalism. Her interests include film, media production, and journalism....

• Chris Brown Arrested in Paris on Allegations of Rape

Food

Childhood Obesity Rates

Opinions

The Non-Traditional College Route

Charges Dropped in Jussie Smollett Case

Is There a Wage Gap Between Male and Female Athletes?

Oil Companies Invest in Climate Change Aid

Pi’erre Bourne

Who is Mike Gravel?

Mother of Six Drives her Family Off Cliff in California While Wife Googles How Much They Would Suffer

Billboard’s Removal of “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X Shows Country Music’s True Colors

Recent Suicides Call For Mental Health Awareness