How LGBT Bullying Affects Students

Lexi Hennig, Staff Writer

Studies show that up to 80% of the LGBT youth hear negative messages about being LGBT daily. Whether these messages are at school, online, or at work, they impact students all the same. LGBT surveys conclude that these students also have lower grades than non LGBT students. Why is that exactly?

LGBT students walk around almost everyday being judged, harassed, and bullied for who they are. These students constantly hear words such as fag, queer, and homo with no teacher interference. When that comes in to play, LGBT students have little time to focus on classes and more time to focus on things such as the emotional turmoil. Due to the massive amount of bullying, the mental health of these students is considerably lower than those not included in this group. LGBT students tend to have higher anxiety levels because of the hardships they face at school and/or other domains.

Students not included in this group usually have better grades because they are more focused on classes and less focused on mental health issues. While LGBT students are primarily focused on being who they are, getting through the next five minutes, and feeling accepted, non LGBT students are focused on studying for final exams. The bullying of LGBT students gives non LGBT students an unfair academic advantage. As a result, several LGBT students have a lower highschool GPA, also lowering the college attendance rate of these students.

LGBT students have lower grades, negative mental health, and social anxiety due to the extreme amount of day to day bullying and harassment. The treatment they receive is flat out unfair and cruel. The constant bullying towards LGBT students needs to be stopped as soon as possible.

Works Cited
“Bullying and LGBT Youth.” Mental Health America, 17 Aug. 2015, www.mentalhealthamerica.net/bullying-and-gay-youth.
Human Rights Campaign. “Growing Up LGBT in America: View and Share Statistics.” Human Rights Campaign, 20 Dec. 2018, www.hrc.org/youth-report/view-and-share-statistics.