Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

Mahle Gangi, Staff Writer

On Monday, January 7, at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, Clemson unexpectedly wiped the floor with Alabama and went home as National Champions. Preceding this anticipated game was a prediction from Vegas Sportsbook that Alabama was favored by six points; however, the outcome of the game was 44-16, proving that Alabama was weaker than America thought.

Arguably, the biggest factor in Clemson’s win was quarterback Trevor Lawrence.  Lawrence is one of the most highly rated quarterbacks and has been dubbed a “once in a generation” type of player by an abundance of recruiting experts. He has been regarded as one of the best by fans in the southeast; after this shocking win against Alabama, he will be in the spotlight for the whole nation. Despite being a freshman, Lawrence has more than earned his spot on the team. This season, his first season with Clemson, he threw for 3,280 yards and 30 touchdowns. In the National Championship game Monday night, he finished 20-of-32 for 347 yards through the air and three touchdowns. This means that in Monday’s game alone he made 10% of his total touchdowns for the season. If Lawrence’s first season is any indication of how he will play in future seasons, he is a legend in the making and should be feared by defensive coordinators across the nation.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Tide’s head coach Nick Saban. Saban has also been regarded as a legend in his own right and is known for dominating not only the SEC, but every college football team across the country. After being Alabama’s head coach for eleven years, Saban has compiled an impressive six SEC championship titles and five National Championship victories. The 2019 National Championship marks Alabama’s worst loss with Nick Saban as their head coach. Prior to Monday night’s game, the worst loss the team suffered under Saban was a 14 point loss to Oklahoma in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. The last time Alabama lost by more than 20 points was in 2003 to LSU. At the time, Nick Saban was LSU’s head coach. This devastating and largely unexpected loss will shape how Alabama performs next season and the choices Nick Saban makes in every game moving forward.  

This dramatic loss in the most regarded game in each college football season has rattled American sports fans everywhere, but not in an entirely negative way. Clemson and Alabama have traded the title as National Champions back and forth for the past three years, but many fans are exhausted with the expected win from Alabama no matter the opposing team. As the worst loss under Saban, this could be a monumental turning point in how the Tide is conducted in future seasons and a determining factor in just how good of a team they actually are.