My Favorite “Spongebob Squarepants” Episodes, In Memory of Stephen Hillenburg

Coby Washo, Staff Writer

“Spongebob Squarepants,” as it was for countless other Gen Z’ers and Millennials, was a staple of my childhood. As a young child, every time I browsed the TV guide menu, my eyes lit up at the sight of “Spongebob Squarepants.” Even today, at age 17, I will re-watch my favorite episodes, despite the fact that I’m probably a loser for doing so. And with the recent passing of Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the show, it seems fitting to commemorate my personal favorite episode.

“Band Geeks” (Season 2, Episode 15). In this episode, Squidward’s rival and musical superior, Squilliam Fancyson, calls Squidward to say that the marching band that he leads is unable to perform at the Bubble Bowl (The show’s equivalent of the Super Bowl). In light of this, Squidward agrees to substitute for Squilliam, despite not having a band. The bulk of the episode consists of Squidward and his band practicing for their performance, and ends with the performance being a huge success.

This plot line may seem bare boned and not very unique, but that’s part of what makes “Spongebob Squarepants” such a great show; It can take a fairly simple plot line, and make a very entertaining episode out of it. What makes this particular episode special is the humor and memorable moments. Two examples of this are when Squidward is playing the clarinet in his home and a veterinarian shows up to his door and says “sir, we understand that you have a dying animal on the premises”, and Patrick’s (a starfish) memorable question towards Squidward: “Is Mayonnaise an instrument?”.

The song that the band performs at the end of the episode, “Sweet Victory,” is also one of the show’s most memorable moments. This song is so memorable in fact, that a petition to play it during the next Super Bowl has garnered half a million signatures.

“Band Geeks” is just one of the countless episodes of the show that have stood the test of time, and to only write about one of these episodes doesn’t properly emphasize how entertaining  “Spongebob Squarepants” is, and how influential Stephen Hillenburg was to an entire generation of young children.

Coby Washo, Staff Writer

Coby Washo is a senior at Northgate High School. His primary interests include soccer, politics, and history. He will attend the University of Georgia...

• My Favorite “Spongebob Squarepants” Episodes, In Memory of Stephen Hillenburg

NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

Showcase

Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

Flaws in Standardized Tests

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails