Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Mason Dyer, Staff Writer

In the current political climate, America seems to be polarized over many issues. Whether it’s abortion, civil rights, gun control, or healthcare, both conservatives and liberals believe that their opinion on said topic is the right path for our country. However, one topic stands out that can and will destroy our future if nothing is done about it: Global Warming. This issue unlike others will affect not just every American, but every human and living species on our planet. Many still don’t believe that climate change exists, but the facts are strikingly terrifying. But the worst part about this is that it’s up to my generation to deal with this.

One of the most common arguments made by global warming deniers is that Earth naturally goes through periods of warming and cooling, and that we are just in the warming part of the cycle. I will admit, this is partially true. We are in a warming period and our planet does in fact goes through cycles where our temperature rises and falls naturally, but that does not explain why our planet is rapidly heating up. According to the OSS Foundation, the current warming period peaked around 8,000 years ago, and global temperatures should actually be falling. But with CO2 polluting our atmosphere, the global temperature is rising faster than ever before.

Now here’s where it starts to get scary. If we continue down this path of destruction, what are the consequences? How will you and I be affected? Well for one, hopefully you don’t end up living on a coastal city. For example, Miami Beach is the most vulnerable to rising sea levels. Have you ever wanted to celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans, or visit New York City? Time is slowly running out for both of these cities thanks to climate change. Besides the fact that our oceans are rising, there will be food shortages due to extreme heat in the Midwest (where most of the America’s food comes from), extreme weather, and droughts that are expected to wreak havoc on us.

So if our future is in such jeopardy, then why hasn’t our government done anything? The depressing reality is that many in the government don’t care. Many (specifically Republicans) care more about other issues that impact us daily such as healthcare, the economy, and immigration. And why is it that the environment is seldom brought up? It’s because the demographics that vote for our Representatives and Senators aren’t worried about the environment. The midterm elections are dominated by the older generation when it comes to voting. By the time that climate change will start to affect us greatly, those voters will most likely be dead. So, climate change isn’t a big issue for them. Unfortunately now, global warming is our problem and we need to address it.

So what can we do? The most important thing that you can do is exercise your rights as an American and vote. Research your candidates and their positions on issues that are important to you, and I’d keep the environment in mind. Besides voting, we can all make simple changes in our lifestyle that can help save our planet. Recycling and other small things can make a big difference if all of us participate. Just remember, our future is at stake here, and we must change the way we treat our planet before it’s too late.

Bibliography
Mason Dyer, Staff Writer

My name is Mason Dyer and I am a Senior at Northgate High School. I’m 18 years old and am going to be attending Georgia Southern University next year....

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Showcase

Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Flaws in Standardized Tests

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

• Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails

Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now