Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Liberty Nguyen, Staff Writer

Taylor Swift finally did it.

After her career-long political silence, Taylor Swift has finally announced her political views. In an Instagram post on October 7, the “Look What You Made Me Do” singer, who had previously been reluctant to share her voice on controversial subjects such as politics, wrote a lengthy message expressing her stance on the current political environment.

Due to her hesitance in the past, Swift was heavily criticized for not speaking out about significant issues despite her massive following and influence. At the age of 18, the musician said she would not share her political views, because music was her forte. At the age of 22, Swift said she did not wish to affect the vote of others since she believed she “[did not know] enough yet in life.” Now, as she nears 29, Swift has finally made her feelings known. “In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now,” she began in her post.

“I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country,” Swift continued. “I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.”

Swift went on, stating that she cannot support Marsha Blackburn, a Republican that is running for US Senate for the state of Tennessee, where the artist votes. Swift explains that due to the many anti-women and anti-LGBT measures Blackburn advocates for, she will be voting for US Senate and House of Representative candidates, Phil Bredesen and Jim Cooper instead. “I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love,” the Tennessee native said.

Since that day, tens of thousands of young voters have registered to vote. Swift received both positive and negative responses with people praising the singer for finally speaking out regarding the prejudice in America and others disapproving her to remain in her career of music. Whether or not one agrees with Swift’s political beliefs, the idol’s decision to speak up was beneficial to the turnout of the upcoming midterms. Only a small percent of the youth participate in elections; however, Swift’s message encourages people to educate themselves and get out and vote.

Liberty Nguyen, Staff Writer

Liberty Nguyen is a freshman at NGHS. She enjoys writing and appreciates the freedom of being able to express and communicate emotions and beliefs through...

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

2018 Midterm Elections

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Series of Bomb Threats Target Trump Critics

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Why You Should Care About Brazil’s New President-Elect

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Exo Releases New Album Well Over A Year Off “Don’t Mess Up My Tempo”

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Fortnite’s Popularity: Why It has Taken the Gaming World by Storm

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Voter Suppression in the US

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Cultural Awareness for Halloween

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Satanic Murder Plot by Two Middle School Girls Stopped

• Taylor Swift Speaks Out

Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Taylor Swift Speaks Out