Cheating in The Classroom: A New Side to The Story

Jake Carson, Staff Writer

The issue of cheating in the classroom is a subject that I believe is glossed over too often in our culture, and even when it is covered, it’s presented the same way every time. Cheating is obviously a bad thing no matter how you slice it, there’s no innocence to it. It’s done deliberately and offers no real learning gratification, only a right answer. These are all qualities covered within the many articles on cheating today, but the biggest thing that’s never asked is not the how, but the why. Cheating doesn’t feel good (not that I would know of course), so why does the number of students cheating seem to be on the rise?

Cheating in school is almost always fueled by two things that go hand in hand, standardized tests, and the need to make the grade. There are classes in high school that are extremely difficult, math in particular for me. With difficult classes comes more requirements for the students to maintain good grades and passing standardized tests. Pressure to get into a good college drives the necessity for good grades, and pressure to excel on standardized tests contributes to stress in a student’s life. According to Plagarism.org, “59% of high school students admitted to cheating on tests during the last year and 34% reported doing it twice.” Now listen to this, according to TheAtlantic.com, “49% of students reported feeling a ‘great deal of stress’ on a daily basis.” Rather shockingly similar numbers aren’t they? These numbers all contribute to the claim that cheating in school is almost entirely due to the stress and expectation to excel that student’s feel in school.

As clear as the evidence may seem, cheating cannot be totally attributed to stress in school, because ultimately it comes down to a choice. No matter how obvious the choice to cheat may appear in a student’s time of need, nor how encouraged it may seem by the teachers who love to pride themselves in big workloads, cheating is still a choice. Choosing to cheat is still on the student, and it seems as time goes on schools have started taking it much more seriously, perhaps due to the steady rise. I have heard many stories of college students getting caught for minor plagiarism offenses and expelled from the school as a whole. It’s because of this choice that no mercy is given to most students caught cheating, but all students asked is that teachers at least try to understand, not why cheating happens, but why, in today’s world, it is more difficult than ever to get into college. Cheating will never be something allowed with good reason, however, sympathy for over-stressed students nowadays is something that should be encouraged.

Jake Carson, Staff Writer

My name is Jake Carson, a senior at Northgate high school and a very interesting guy! I love playing music, such as guitar and drums that I play at my...

• Cheating in The Classroom: A New Side to The Story

NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

Showcase

Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

Flaws in Standardized Tests

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails