4 Ways Teens Can Spend Time on Self-Care

Karsyn Burdette, Staff Writer

Many people don’t worry about self-care until it is a last resort and is something you are forced to think about. That is an issue, so instead we need to start building habits for self-care early in life. Teenagers deal with many different changes in their adolescent years, including outer world challenges, ups and downs with growth and development, and the brain not being fully developed which leads to poor decisions.

Establishing a routine for self-care will provide teenagers with answers when they face these problems in their own life. Self-care for teens can involve many different activities. There are physical, mental, and emotional ways to provide self-care for teenagers in everyday life. Here are some powerful examples that will help teenagers care for themselves.

Creativity. Expression of the creative side is very beneficial for emotional health. Giving teens a way to express themselves through music, journaling, and visual art allows for a peaceful state of mind. Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi describes this as the pleasurable experience of being completely absorbed in an activity, which is excellent for the brain.

Movement. A lot of teenagers are involved with a preferred physical activity, whether sports, running, or gym workouts. However, some don’t. Help them create one – it will improve both their physical and mental health throughout their entire life. It doesn’t matter what the exercise is as long as it gets them moving.

Volunteering. Caring for others is also a form of self-care. A volunteering opportunity in a teen’s life can increase their experience of meaning in life. For example, teens who love animals can work at an animal shelter. Teens who love children can volunteer at a summer camp. Help teens find opportunities that appeal to them and their interests.

Gratitude. Being thankful may not come naturally to a lot of teens, but it is a very worthy habit. Gratitude has been shown to increase happiness and positivity. To get teens started, consider starting with something simple. Write down five things they are grateful for each week.

Teenagers may not respond with excitement at first about this idea of self-care, but give them time, they will gradually come around. Once they get started with a habit, it will change them and they will be motivated to continue by themselves.

Karsyn Burdette, Staff Writer

My name is Karsyn Burdette and I am a senior at Northgate High School. I play basketball, love to travel, go to football games, hangout with my friends,...

• 4 Ways Teens Can Spend Time on Self-Care

2018 Midterm Elections

Series of Bomb Threats Target Trump Critics

Why You Should Care About Brazil’s New President-Elect

Exo Releases New Album Well Over A Year Off “Don’t Mess Up My Tempo”

Fortnite’s Popularity: Why It has Taken the Gaming World by Storm

Voter Suppression in the US

Cultural Awareness for Halloween

Bohemian Rhapsody

Satanic Murder Plot by Two Middle School Girls Stopped

Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now