Another Mass Shooting in Florida

Bella Trimmer, Staff Writer

On August 27th, 2018, two people were killed and nine more injured in a mass shooting at a video game tournament in Jacksonville, Florida. After he committed this horrific act, the shooter then turned the gun on himself.

David Katz was a twenty-four year-old eSports player from Baltimore attending a video game tournament hosted at a local pizzeria and game bar in Jacksonville, Florida. At 1:34 PM, he opened fire and killed two other participants in the tournament, Eli Clayton, 21, and Taylor Robertson, 27, and wounded nine others. Unconfirmed reports suggest that he became angry after losing a match, but Jacksonville’s Sheriff Mike Williams says it is too early to determine a motive.

This is yet another addition to the ever-growing list of Florida’s mass shootings in recent years. The Pulse Nightclub shooter killed forty-nine people and the more recent Parkland shooting took seventeen lives. According to The New York Times, “Jacksonville was already reeling from another deadly shooting over the weekend. One person was killed and two others were injured in a shooting after a high school football game on Friday.”

“We have faced an occurrence that is all too common,” Mayor Lenny Curry told reporters on Sunday night. “Tonight, we pray for the wounded and we pray for the families of those who were lost.” He’s right. Something has to change and it needs to be changed yesterday. How many more times are we willing to forget mass shootings with a simple “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.” and nothing else? People go to video game tournaments and don’t come home again. People go to a nightclub and don’t come home again. Children go to school and don’t come home again. Where does it end? When will we really decide enough is enough?