Hanebado: The Badminton Play of Hanesaki

Gwenyth Cook, Staff Writer

Badminton Gone Anime

The anime airing this season, such as, My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan Season 3, Banana Fish, Steins Gate 0, etc., has definitely made the summer worthwhile. However, the badminton anime created by Liden Films, Hanebado, has stolen the spotlight. The anime has twelve, 23-minute episodes, but only seven have been broadcast in Japan. It has an overall rating of 7.47/10 on myanimelist.com. The series demonstrates great potential and adds to the list of decent sports anime, along with Free! and Kuroko no Basketball.

Kanagawa Prefectural Kitakomachi High School´s first year student, Ayano Hanesaki, is a badminton prodigy. Her mother, Uchika Hanesaki, won nationals four times in a row. After Ayano lost a match in middle school, her mother abandoned her and took a prodigy in Europe. Devastated, Ayano not only quit playing badminton competitively, but altogether. With the help of her childhood friend, Ayano joins the high school badminton team. In an effort to aim for the top and become recognized by her mother, she will face foes old and new.

Although the series has not finished airing yet, the story so far is a solid 8/10. Action starts in the first episode and hasn’t slowed down since. The high intense rallies between players is similar to that of Haikyuu!!, the sensational volleyball anime. Background stories have been shown for several different characters and ties them quite nicely with Ayano´s past. For a sports anime, the animation itself is of high quality and deeply grasps the movements and change in direction of each individual character. Although season one has not finished airing, Hanebado´s popularity will likely give it a season two.