It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year… Part 2

Turner Keck, Staff Writer

Will the Rankings Hold Up?

Let’s take a look at the 19th through 15th ranked college football teams. 

19. Florida State Seminoles. The Seminoles arrive in 2018 with a completely new coaching staff headed by Willie Taggart. The Seminoles had an underwhelming season last year going 7-6 with losses to North Carolina State, Alabama, Miami(FL), Clemson, Boston College, and Louisville. The Seminoles are looking to flip the script in 2018 with the 11th ranked recruit class with thirteen 4 stars and eight 3 stars coming to campus this year. The team is hoping to repeat the success of 2013 and 2014 this season. The team had a solid defense but the offense, especially the offensive line, will be the deciding factor this season. However, their opener against Virginia Tech has the Seminoles sliding down the poles already.

18. Mississippi State Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are fresh off of a 9-4 campaign in 2017 with quality wins against both LSU and Louisville. All losses except for one came against top 10 teams such as Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, and their only glaring loss Ole Miss. The Bulldogs brought in the 27th ranked recruiting class consisting of six 4 stars and seventeen 3 stars. The Bulldogs play in the highly contested and highly touted SEC West, so honestly anything is up for grabs. Any team could rise to the top and Mississippi State could be that team. After the way the Bulldogs defeated Stephen F. Austin in week 1, Bulldog nation has high hopes.

17. Virginia Tech Hokies.  The Hokies are coming off of a mediocre schedule from 2017 going 9-4 with losses against Miami(FL), Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Oklahoma State. The Hokies had the 24th ranked recruiting class with seven 4 stars and nineteen 3 stars. The team also has dual-threat QB Josh Jackson, with a 135.17 passer rating in 2017, returning. The Hokies proved a great deal in their week one matchup against the Florida State Seminoles, but did the decisive win say more about the Hokie’s bright future, or the Seminole’s quick demise?

16. TCU Horned Frogs. The Horned Frogs recently pulled off a comeback in the Alamo Bowl against #20 Stanford coming back from an 18 point deficit to win the game 39-37. The Horned Frogs have the 25th ranked recruiting class with five 4 stars and nineteen 3 stars. The Frogs do have confidence in the fact that RB Darius Anderson “The Human Jetpack” is returning for his junior season. The Frogs will have to face some high powered offenses this year against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Ohio State. Expect another great offensive and another BIG 12 defense this year. After their week one destruction of Southern University, the Horned Frogs are feeling good.

15. USC Trojans. The Trojans play in what is considered one of the weakest power five conferences. They have lost QB Sam Darnold, who was drafted by the New York Jets. They did make up for it with the 4th ranked recruiting class in the nation with four 5 star recruits; WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, the younger brother of Green Bay Packers Wr Equanimous St. Brown, LB Palale Gaoteote,  Pro-Style QB JT Daniels, and CB Olaijah Griffin. The team also had thirteen 4 stars and one 3 star recruit. The Trojans had an 11-3 campaign last year dropping games to Washington State, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. They did, however, beat rivals, Stanford, twice, and UCLA. As the lowest ranked of the 3 ranked PAC-12 teams, the Trojans could be a sleeper team, but they need reassurance from the Quarterback position to be elite. After their week one victory over UNLV, there are still a few question marks about the Trojan’s potential.