It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Turner Keck, Staff Writer

The 2018 college football season is finally upon us. The NCAA Coaches’ Poll for football has been revealed. Let’s look at each team ranked in the top 25 and see why coaches across the country have ranked each team where they did.

25. Oklahoma State Cowboys: The Cowboys start at 25 this year despite a pretty solid 10-3 season, concluded with a 30-21 victory over #24 Virginia Tech in the Camping World Bowl. The Cowboys did lose explosive quarterback Mason Rudolph and receiver James Washington to the NFl draft. The Cowboys brought in the 33rd ranked recruiting class with two 4 star recruits and twenty-two 3 star recruits. Expect another powerful offense in the Big 12 this season.

24. LSU Tigers: The Bayou Bengals come in as the lowest ranked SEC team in the top 25. The Tigers had a 9-4 season concluded with a 21-17 loss to #11 Notre Dame. LSU did have solid wins over #10 Auburn at home and Florida on the road; however they did have some glaring losses to teams such as Troy at home and #19 Mississippi State on the road. The Tigers have the 15th ranked recruiting class with one 5 star recruit, twelve 4 star recruits, and nine 3 star recruits. The Tigers have potential for a great season but could also have another disappointing season if they can’t pull out a big upset over the likes of UGA, the Tide, or Auburn.

23. UCF Knights: The Knights are self proclaimed “National Champions” after coming off of an undefeated season which included wins over USF, Auburn in the Peach Bowl, and 2 wins over Memphis. They lost players; Mike Hughes, Tre’Quan Smith, Jordan Akins, and Shaquem Griffin to the NFL draft. The Knights did however bring in the 71st ranked recruiting class with nineteen 3 star recruits. The group of five teams are fickle and any one team could rise to the top, but still expect the Knights to be a contender in the AAC.

22. Boise State Broncos: The Broncos are one of the two group of five teams in the top 25 this season. They had the 56th recruiting class this season, bringing in one 4 star recruit and twenty-two 3 star recruits.The Broncos had a 11-3 record last season, won the Alamo Bowl against the Oregon Ducks, and finished ranked 22. Expect more of the same from the Broncos this year.

21. Texas Longhorns: The Longhorns had another disappointing season with no elite victories this season and it came with some glaring losses. The Longhorns dropped their season opener along with four other games, 2 of which being overtime losses to USC and Oklahoma State. The Longhorns have a history of disappointing seasons in recent memory, but with the 3rd ranked recruiting class including two 5 stars, seventeen 4 stars, and eight 3 stars, that record could easily change. The thing to remember with Texas is they playing in the Big 12, a conference riddled with inconsistent teams, so their season could go either way.

20. West Virginia Mountaineers: The Mountaineers have the highest ranked quarterback according to ESPN in WIll Grier. The Mountaineers are another one of the high power Big 12 offenses who finished the season on a disappointing note with a 7-6 record. The team had losses to Texas, Utah, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, with no elite wins. The team brought in the 35th ranked recruiting class looking to add to their offensive firepower. Expect another season with an explosive offense, but their defense will be their deciding factor.

Turner Keck, Staff Writer

I’m Turner Keck and I’m a freshman at Northgate. I’m a goalie for the Northgate lacrosse team. When I get older I want to work as a sports broadcaster....

• It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

Showcase

Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

Flaws in Standardized Tests

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails