Vaping Is Killing Your Brain

Vaping Is Killing Your Brain

Bearre Dorsey, Staff Writer

In today’s America, it is becoming more and more common for teenagers to consume nicotine products from ages thirteen to seventeen. As a highschooler, I have seen an increasing number of students using nicotine products. People who use nicotine products usually say that what they are doing is perfectly fine because of vape companies’ propaganda saying that it is better to vape or juul than to smoke cigarettes, but this is not the case.

Vape companies have tricked teens into believing that it is fine to vape. Studies have shown that using nicotine products stunt brain growth in teenagers. Experts say that nicotine is extremely addictive and has negative effects on the brain, mostly the part of the brain that influences decision making. (Business Insider 3) This disproves the myth that vaping is fine for teenagers. Negative effects on the brain can lead to plummeting grades in school which can have miserable repercussions such as not getting into the university you want, or even possibly failing school. Even though the law states that you have to be eighteen or older to purchase nicotine products, teenagers still get them.Teens get these products by buying them from people who are of age to purchase them, teens call them ¨plugs.¨ The fact is, nicotine products stunt brain growth and are highly addicting which can lead to health problems later in life.

Brodwin, Erin. “Experts Are Calling out a Vape Pen with ‘Scary’ Nicotine Levels That Teens Love – Here’s How It Affects the Brain.” Business Insider, Business Insider, 19 Apr. 2018, www.businessinsider.com/vaping-brain-effects-juul-2018-4.