Red Tides in the US?

Red Tides in the US?

Stephanie West, Staff Writer

Florida is supposed to be “The Sunshine State” right… where everyone goes on vacation and visits the beaches to have fun and be worry free. Well, this time around, not everyone will be quite so willing to get into the water. Pollution has gone unmonitored for years– now it has started to badly affect the ecosystem. Thousands of marine animals are washing up on shores, dead.  One beach even had a dead whale shark wash up on the beach.

These deaths are due to the unexpected high rate of algae blooms in the ocean and other sources of water around the country, causing the amount of blue-green algae to go up. Not to mention that the marine animals aren’t the only ones being greatly affected by this; scientists are looking into the water to see if this is safe to drink, with unfortunate results.

But this isn’t the first time this has happened. Red tides are when the toxic red algae, toxic red dinoflagellates, bloom in the ocean. During this time death is to be expected, but not this much. In 1996, after 151 manatees washed up dead on the shore, the government ordered the water to be tracked more closely at water levels to prevent such incidents from happening again. However, due to budget cuts over the years from the state, the ability to keep up with the algae blooms was greatly diminished– leaving the people ignorant of what was to come with this year’s red tide.

This isn’t only affecting the consumers though. It has also taken a great hit on the marine life of Florida beach towns. People are reluctant to go to the beach if it is littered with the carcasses of marine life. The hotels and resorts are losing business as well as the restaurants and fishermen.

Stephanie West, Staff Writer

I got roped into another year of Journalism with Mr. Carson, so that makes me a Journalism II student. That’s ok though because journalism is fun ™...

• Red Tides in the US?

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

• Red Tides in the US?

Flaws in Standardized Tests

• Red Tides in the US?

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

• Red Tides in the US?

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails

• Red Tides in the US?

Stress and Health

• Red Tides in the US?

United Airlines: Another Misstep

• Red Tides in the US?

My Favorite “Spongebob Squarepants” Episodes, In Memory of Stephen Hillenburg

• Red Tides in the US?

Chinese Scientist Genetically Modified Two Embryos

• Red Tides in the US?

Graphene: Potential Worldwide Superconductor.

• Red Tides in the US?

Why Lame Duck Sessions In Government Should Not Exist

Red Tides in the US?