Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

For over 50 years, Madeleine L’Engle’s coming-of-age, sci-fi novel, A Wrinkle In Time, has captured the hearts of its readers. Fortunately, the movie, directed by Ava DuVernay, hit theaters on March 9th. It stars Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, and Mindy Kaling, as well as the new Storm Reid, who plays the story’s protagonist. The film has already received enormous praise for its inspiration to young girls, especially those of color, who may not normally feel as though they fit in. “Wrinkle” is also the first motion picture to be directed by a black woman with over a $100 million budget. However, critics have already picked it apart, scene by scene. It’s often been compared to Black Panther, as both movies have topped the charts in their opening weeks.

The classic tale takes viewers on an adventure with Meg Murry, a smart middle school student, as she struggles to fit in while her scientist father mysteriously goes missing, leaving Meg behind with her brother and mother, another scientist. While her father is lost in a space and time he created, Meg deals with school, her classmates, and other struggles of adolescence. She finally decided to go search for her dad, accompanied by Charles, her brother, and her friend Calvin, who happens to be her secret admirer. This adventure takes them onto different planets, where they meet the three Mrses: Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which. In the end, they must battle the IT, a malicious force who lives on planet Camazotz, in order to save the Murry family.

It was never going to be an easy task for DuVernay to capture the magical spirit of the book, and it was going to be even harder to create a successful film as a minority female director. Critics often compare this movie to Black Panther, as it is the only movie to beat out A Wrinkle In Time in the box office in the opening week; this is the first time the top two spots in the box office were filled with movies by black directors with budgets of over $100 million. Those who criticise “Wrinkle” keep forgetting one thing-this is a children’s movie. It was not made to appeal to people of all ages. It was DuVernay’s love letter to young people. It inspires those who feel like they aren’t accepted, it inspires those who love science, and it shows that there is a place for everyone, even in a life as wild as Meg’s.

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Emily Dozier is a junior in her third semester of journalism. She is a volleyball player and hopes to continue the sport into college, as well as pursue...

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

2018 Midterm Elections

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Series of Bomb Threats Target Trump Critics

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Why You Should Care About Brazil’s New President-Elect

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Exo Releases New Album Well Over A Year Off “Don’t Mess Up My Tempo”

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Fortnite’s Popularity: Why It has Taken the Gaming World by Storm

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Voter Suppression in the US

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Cultural Awareness for Halloween

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Satanic Murder Plot by Two Middle School Girls Stopped

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Global Warming: It’s our Problem Now

Time For A Wrinkle In Time