Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

For over 50 years, Madeleine L’Engle’s coming-of-age, sci-fi novel, A Wrinkle In Time, has captured the hearts of its readers. Fortunately, the movie, directed by Ava DuVernay, hit theaters on March 9th. It stars Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, and Mindy Kaling, as well as the new Storm Reid, who plays the story’s protagonist. The film has already received enormous praise for its inspiration to young girls, especially those of color, who may not normally feel as though they fit in. “Wrinkle” is also the first motion picture to be directed by a black woman with over a $100 million budget. However, critics have already picked it apart, scene by scene. It’s often been compared to Black Panther, as both movies have topped the charts in their opening weeks.

The classic tale takes viewers on an adventure with Meg Murry, a smart middle school student, as she struggles to fit in while her scientist father mysteriously goes missing, leaving Meg behind with her brother and mother, another scientist. While her father is lost in a space and time he created, Meg deals with school, her classmates, and other struggles of adolescence. She finally decided to go search for her dad, accompanied by Charles, her brother, and her friend Calvin, who happens to be her secret admirer. This adventure takes them onto different planets, where they meet the three Mrses: Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which. In the end, they must battle the IT, a malicious force who lives on planet Camazotz, in order to save the Murry family.

It was never going to be an easy task for DuVernay to capture the magical spirit of the book, and it was going to be even harder to create a successful film as a minority female director. Critics often compare this movie to Black Panther, as it is the only movie to beat out A Wrinkle In Time in the box office in the opening week; this is the first time the top two spots in the box office were filled with movies by black directors with budgets of over $100 million. Those who criticise “Wrinkle” keep forgetting one thing-this is a children’s movie. It was not made to appeal to people of all ages. It was DuVernay’s love letter to young people. It inspires those who feel like they aren’t accepted, it inspires those who love science, and it shows that there is a place for everyone, even in a life as wild as Meg’s.

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

The “Rise” of a New Show

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Fashion

Prom Preparation

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

The Bachelor Recap

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

The Power of the Pen

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Myatt’s Journey Comes Full Circle

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Northgate Seniors Enter Final Season

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Parkland Speaks Out

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Opinions

Our Generation

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

#NeverAgain

• Time For A Wrinkle In Time

Why Prom Isn’t All That

Time For A Wrinkle In Time