Why Prom Isn’t All That

Dylan DeLucia, Staff Writer

Prom is a major event that most high school students attend their junior or senior year. Overall the school gets hyped for this event and plans the whole month of April around one date. I, unlike 90% of the school population, think prom is over-hyped garbage and I have my reasons. The first problem I have is with the price. Now, I am a male, so I got the better deal here on price which involves paying for my date, dinner, suit rental, corsage, and ride (if not driving). All of this will cost around $300 dollars if you are trying to ball on a budget. The female has it worse, paying for makeup, a dress, shoes, the boutonniere, hair, etc. to get them ready for their “big day.” The price they pay is probably double the guys, and girls spend a whole day preparing for the night. Which leads to my second problem, which is that of preparation. Being a teenager means I am incredibly lazy and do not want to spend a whole day getting all dressed up to sweat in a gym full of nasty kids. And wherever there is a prom, you know there is drama. That can range anywhere from who looks the best or who is cheating on who. But my biggest problem with prom is the music. The music is awful; they play the usual mumbly rap, cringy pop songs, and finally early 2000’s techno. Last year I didn’t get to hear one slow song during the dance. I’m not trying to slow dance with my date to Lil Yachty’s Kermit the Frog voice. It should be mandatory to at least put one slow song in the school’s trash playlist. Even with all that said, I think everyone should experience prom at least once. It’s not about if you enjoyed your time or not, it’s all about the memory of being there to experience it.

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Hanebado: The Badminton Play of Hanesaki

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

GIANT, INVASIVE, RODENTS!!!

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Opinions

Area 51

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

How to Save the Bees

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Self Diagnosis

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year… Part 2

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Student Protests in Bangladesh

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Flavors of Youth: Plenty of Youth but Lacking Flavor

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Birds Working as Cleaners in French Theme Park

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Why Prom Isn’t All That