Why Prom Isn’t All That

Why Prom Isn’t All That

Dylan DeLucia, Staff Writer

Prom is a major event that most high school students attend their junior or senior year. Overall the school gets hyped for this event and plans the whole month of April around one date. I, unlike 90% of the school population, think prom is over-hyped garbage and I have my reasons. The first problem I have is with the price. Now, I am a male, so I got the better deal here on price which involves paying for my date, dinner, suit rental, corsage, and ride (if not driving). All of this will cost around $300 dollars if you are trying to ball on a budget. The female has it worse, paying for makeup, a dress, shoes, the boutonniere, hair, etc. to get them ready for their “big day.” The price they pay is probably double the guys, and girls spend a whole day preparing for the night. Which leads to my second problem, which is that of preparation. Being a teenager means I am incredibly lazy and do not want to spend a whole day getting all dressed up to sweat in a gym full of nasty kids. And wherever there is a prom, you know there is drama. That can range anywhere from who looks the best or who is cheating on who. But my biggest problem with prom is the music. The music is awful; they play the usual mumbly rap, cringy pop songs, and finally early 2000’s techno. Last year I didn’t get to hear one slow song during the dance. I’m not trying to slow dance with my date to Lil Yachty’s Kermit the Frog voice. It should be mandatory to at least put one slow song in the school’s trash playlist. Even with all that said, I think everyone should experience prom at least once. It’s not about if you enjoyed your time or not, it’s all about the memory of being there to experience it.

Dylan DeLucia, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Dylan DeLucia. I am a senior that participates in the schools Lacrosse team and a huge fan of 70s culture. I frequently work on cars for...

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

The Importance of Foreign Language

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Georgia’s Stacey Abrams Gives Democratic response to SOTU

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Viking Swimmers Excel in County, Advance to State

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Why It Doesn’t Really Matter If You Didn’t Watch Super Bowl LIII

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Four African-American Girls Allegedly Strip Searched in New York Middle School

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Now is a Good Time to Start Worrying about the Survival of Mankind

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Global Warming Continues to Creep, Contrary to Polar Vortex

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Pelosi Claps Back

• Showcase

Kennedy Eltz: Bringing Honor to Northgate

• Why Prom Isn’t All That

Remember Brexit? Well, The Process Is Still Ongoing

Why Prom Isn’t All That