The Effects of Strict Parenting

Jade DeCaeny, Staff Writer

When a child says they have strict parents, one would automatically assume the parents are authoritative to keep the child disciplined and out of trouble. However, this thought is completely opposite of the reality of the situation. Research has shown that children of authoritarian families are more prone to suffering from low self esteem and pressure to be “good enough” than children coming from permissive parents. This is because their minds have been reprogrammed to make the adults proud rather than make themselves proud, and to think poorly of themselves if they are not the best.

As someone who has grown up striving to hear my parents give me words of confirmation, I personally understand the psychological effect of parents harping on kids over grades, sports, social life, etc. That being said, I believe that I have gained a lot of respect for my elders and have received a lot of benefits for my parents pushing me to the best, but the “tough love” comes with baggage and consequences, such as stress, anxiety, self-doubt, and most of all disappointment. Currently I am barely passing my high school academics, trying to keep up in my college class, acting as a manager and starting player on the soccer team (however I currently am on crutches with a torn ligament), and squeezing in my social life every chance I get. Nonetheless, my parents still expect more of me and I just finished having a breakdown because of this.

Not all adolescents react to strict parents like I do. Instead of putting themselves down, some children choose to act out and be obedient in hopes of getting a different approach from the parent or trying to draw in more attention from the parent. In addition, children with strict guardians are more likely to hide who they really are in fear of rejection or disappointment, which should not be an issue considering the circumstances.

For this whole article I have been giving the negative results of strict parenting, so it is only fair that I include the positive outcome as well. Even though there are a lot of issues with strict parenting, I’d be lying if I said there were no beneficial results from this. Children are more respectful of elders, authority figures, and leaders. They also benefit in their academics if they have good grades, and athletics if they play sports, so forth and so on. I myself would not be the person I am today if my parents had not pushed me harder, however I  probably would not feel so pressured to be perfect, either.

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

The “Rise” of a New Show

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Fashion

Prom Preparation

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

The Bachelor Recap

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Time For A Wrinkle In Time

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

The Power of the Pen

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Myatt’s Journey Comes Full Circle

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Northgate Seniors Enter Final Season

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Parkland Speaks Out

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

Opinions

Our Generation

• The Effects of Strict Parenting

#NeverAgain

The Effects of Strict Parenting