GrammysSoMale

Back to Article
Back to Article

GrammysSoMale

Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A few weeks following the Golden Globes, everyone had high hopes for the music industry to be more gender inclusive in the Grammy awards. However, the results were simply embarrassing. When the nominees for the 2018 Grammy Awards were announced, they were quickly praised for its diversity; the most prestigious categories were dominated by artists of color. When the big night finally arrived, it was blatantly disappointing. The show’s goal was to highlight the achievements of women in the music industry, but few women were even nominated for televised awards, and when the time came, only one managed to snag the Grammy.

Not only was the 2018 awards show lacking representation, the past 6 Grammys have, too. In fact, a study completed by the Annenberg Inclusive Initiative showed that 90.7% of the artists nominated between 2013 and 2018 were male, leaving a miniscule 9.3% female. In the same time, no woman has ever been nominated for “Producer of the Year.” 7.9% of the nominees for “Record of the Year” were women, 6.1% for “Album of the Year,” 21.3% for “Song of the Year,” and 36.4 for “Best New Artist.” This leaves a gender ratio of 9.7 men to every 1 woman.

Alessia Cara, winner of “Best New Artist,” was the only female winner of a major category, despite SZA having 5 nominations. “Best Pop Vocal Album” winner Ed Sheeran was the only male nominee, yet despite the odds, he rose to the top of the category. One of the biggest outcries was over Lorde. The only female nominee for “Album of the Year” was denied her own solo performance despite the male candidates in the category being allowed a performance. Neil Portnow, Recording Academy president, claims it was because there was not enough time in the telecast. Before being denied a performance, the New Zealander was offered a slot to honor the late Tom Petty, but she denied the offer. Portnow defended the show, saying that “Women need to step up” if they want to win a Grammy. Thus, the hashtag #GrammysSoMale began trending. Tuesday morning, after receiving backlash from recording artists such as Pink, he released a statement saying that his words were taken out of context and they did not fully express how he feels regarding the inclusion of women in the industry. Even so, music’s biggest night was nothing short of a huge let down.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Emily Dozier, Staff Writer

Emily Dozier is a senior in Journalism 4 at Northgate. After high school, she plans to pursue a degree in journalism and communications while playing college...

Navigate Left
  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

  • GrammysSoMale

    Showcase

    Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

  • GrammysSoMale

    Arts and Entertainment

    Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    Flaws in Standardized Tests

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    George H.W. Bush Passes Away

  • GrammysSoMale

    News

    Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails

Navigate Right
GrammysSoMale