Georgia vs Alabama National Championship

Jacob Woodruff, Staff Writer

The 2017 college football season reached its thrilling conclusion at last, and as tradition, it’s a bad time to hate the SEC. College football’s most discussed conference is football’s equivalent of Schroödinger’s Cat, simultaneously beloved and reviled depending on observation. On Monday January 8th , the Southeastern Conference proved unavoidable when Georgia, vying to return to greatness through a combination of old tricks and new blood, attempts to fend off the Alabama Crimson Tide, college football’s gold standard. The matchup proved to be one of the most storied of the College Football Playoff era. Everyone wondered if Kirby Smart, former Nick Saban assistant, could best his mentor. At Georgia’s helm was Jake Fromm, who at the beginning of the season was the backup quarterback. Many wondered if Alabama should even be in the playoffs since they didn’t play in the conference championship game. Georgia’s head coach Kirby Smart told ESPN that the Dawgs will head into the game confident, serious, and most importantly, they will go in and have fun. Later, Alabama head coach Nick Saban told ESPN that his team will go into the game with a clear mind.

After an uneventful first quarter, Georgia struck first, with kicker Rodrigo Blankenship nailing a field goal to give the Dawgs an early 3 to 0  lead . They kept the momentum, making the score 13-0. Following the touchdown, Alabama coach Nick Saban decided to change up his game plan against the Dawgs and put in freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Tagovailoa put the Tide on the board by hitting Henry Ruggs for a 6-yard score. Fromm responded by hitting Mecole Hardman for an 80-yard touchdown strike, making the score 20-7 at the end of the third quarter. Alabama head coach Saban noticed this, resulting in him changing his game plan up and it showed some promising effects. It was effective enough to where Bo Scarbrough connected from 30 yards scoring a touchdown making the score 20 to 13.Close to the end of the 4th quarter, Tagovailoa tied the game up 20 to 20 by hitting Calvin Ridley for a 7-yard score on third-and-4 . After this occurred, the game went into overtime. Georgia stepped up their game and kicker Rodrigo Blankenship nailed a field goal and gave the Dawgs a 23 to 20  lead. Alabama secured its fifth national championship in nine years on a 42-yard Tua Tagovailoa pass to DeVonta Smith to secure a 26–23 overtime victory over Georgia.

Jacob Woodruff, Staff Writer

Sophomore Jacob Woodruff is serving as a staff writer for the Crimson Times. Jacob’s peers describe him as “a great kid.” He says he is a typical...

• Georgia vs Alabama National Championship

NGHS Science Olympiad Team Preparing For Critical Brookwood Invitational

Showcase

Dr. Parker: Not Your Average Teacher

5- Star Recruit, Dominick Blaylock: A Star in the Making for Georgia Football

Highlights of the 76th Golden Globes

Man Charged with Burglary for Taking a Nap

Clemson Crucifies Alabama in 2019 NCAA National Championship

Is Birthright Citizenship a Loophole, or Just a Hot Topic?

Flaws in Standardized Tests

George H.W. Bush Passes Away

Ballot Measure To Create A New City By Seceding From Stockbridge, GA, Fails