“Come Alive” with The Greatest Showman

Karrington Garrett, Staff Writer

With development starting as early as 2009, the movie The Greatest Showman, is an original musical that tells the story of PT Barnum, the founder of The Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus, and how he rose from nothing to become a worldwide spectacle. The story celebrates the origins of show business and teaches us to celebrate our differences and appreciate them instead of hiding them away.

Oscar-nominated singer-actor, Hugh Jackman (Logan), plays the starry-eyed main character, PT Barnum, along with Oscar-nominated actress, Michelle Williams (Manchester by the Sea), who plays his kind and considerate wife, Charity Barnum. Disney Channel legends, Zac Efron (Baywatch) and Zendaya (Spiderman: Homecoming), play Phillip Carlyle, Barnum’s wealthy protege and Anne Wheeler, a beautiful trapeze artist, respectively, who fall into a star-crossed love with each other.

The soundtrack, composed entirely by Oscar and two time Tony-winning, La La Land songwriting duo, Justin Paul and Benj Pasek, also touches on the “embrace your differences” theme with the main song, “This Is Me.” The powerful contemporary pop piece, belted out by upcoming Broadway star, Keala Settle (Waitress: The Musical), who also plays the bearded lady in the film; really touches us and tells us to just be ourselves and be proud of who we are. “I am brave, I am bruised, I am who I’m meant to be, this is me.”

“Ladies and gents, this is the moment you’ve waited for.” Along with this song, the second released track to this musical is “The Greatest Show,” which is a fun track destined to brighten your day, here we get our first taste of Hugh Jackman’s vocals (and pseudo-rap) until the end, where we get to hear the rest of the circus cast’s vocals, mainly Keala Settle, Zac Efron, and Zendaya.

The final released song, and Zac’s long-awaited return to musicals since High School Musical 3, “Rewrite the Stars” is Zac and Zendaya’s contemporary pop ballad duet, in which their two characters sing about yearning to be with each other and “Rewriting the Stars” for each other. “Why don’t we rewrite the stars? Say you were meant to be mine, how can we rewrite the stars, changing the world to be ours.” The duet is set to be an aerial duet, in which they are “literally tied together,” as Zendaya puts it, and flying through the air.

The full soundtrack is set to be released this Friday, December 8th, along with the full movie to be released in theaters a little less than two weeks after on the 20th. Until then, enjoy the trailers and songs below.

• “Come Alive” with The Greatest Showman

The “Rise” of a New Show

Fashion

Prom Preparation

The Bachelor Recap

Time For A Wrinkle In Time

The Power of the Pen

Myatt’s Journey Comes Full Circle

Northgate Seniors Enter Final Season

Parkland Speaks Out

Opinions

Our Generation

#NeverAgain

“Come Alive” with The Greatest Showman