First Place Golfer Denied Trophy…Because She’s a Girl

Mahle Gangi, Staff Writer

Emily Nash, a junior at Lunenberg High School in Massachusetts, won the Division 3 boys’ golf tournament at Blissful Meadows on Tuesday, October 24, with a 3-over-par; however, she will not be awarded the first place trophy. Why? She’s a girl. Nico Ciolino, a student at Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School, was second place to Nash by 4 shots. Ciolino will be the recipient of the trophy and first place title, along with an invitation to next week’s tournament in Wyantenuck CC in Great Barrington.

This was not a surprise to Nash. She and her coach both knew that girls entering in the tournament is against the rules, but playing is not. If they qualify, they can compete in the spring Girls Sectional and State Championships, according to the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. While it was not a surprise to Nash or her coach, it was surprising to others:

“It’s a real injustice that she wasn’t announced as the winner,” said volunteer rules official, Robert Dufresne.

Nash’s score counted only toward the team’s total. Unfortunately, the total was not enough to progress to the state tournament. Ciolino tried to give his opponent the trophy, but she declined in what was referred to by Kevin Riordan, director of the Central Massachusetts Division 3 boys’ golf tournament, as a “classy act.” Riordan went on to say that he plans to purchase a first place trophy himself for Nash.