Mrs. Gray: A Positive, Uplifting Spirit

Claire Wathen and Olivia Harvey

Mrs. Gray, a 12th grade literature teacher here at Northgate High School, is positively influencing her students through her work and her wisdom. She has been teaching for a total of 23 years, with 14 of those years being at Northgate. She has taught from elementary school all the way up to 12th grade. With all of this experience under her belt, it may come as a surprise that Mrs. Gray came close to not being a teacher at all!

When she was younger, Mrs. Gray planned on going to college for fashion merchandising. She had a bit of a struggle with what she really wanted to be and decided to have a heart-to-heart talk with herself. When she did so, she found that she was being called to teach and help others. Mrs. Gray says she made the right choice and loves that everyday she goes to work and gets to help others. For anyone struggling with what career they want to pursue, Mrs. Gray has some wisdom to share. She said, “think back to what you wanted to be when you were 6 or 7 to find your passion!”

Mrs. Gray loves to read good books and spend time with her family, especially her six grandkids. Embellishing upon her love for her family, she also states that the coolest thing she has ever done was becoming a grandmother. She loves to read anything written by Shakespeare and her favorite book is To Kill A Mockingbird. When asked about her dream place to live, Mrs. Gray said that she would love to live in a world with no conflict. Mrs. Gray is quite the traveler, she’s been to many places all over the world, but she says that the best destinations she has visited have been Romania and Mexico.

Many of Mrs. Gray’s students appreciate her dedication to her work here at Northgate High School. Brennen Eastman, one of her current students, stated “In the short time I have had Mrs. Gray, I have experienced many exciting times in her class.” Sophomore Sasha Morawietz says  “Mrs. Gray is a very positive and outgoing teacher. Everyday I would come into her class excited to learn because she makes it fun and interesting.” Senior Ansley Berry said that “Mrs. Gray is a genuine teacher that you can go to if you ever need a shoulder to cry on or if you need someone to listen to you.”

It is clear that Mrs. Gray is a special person both in and out of school. She is funny, exciting, and kind to all around her. With teaching experience and a connection with her students, Mrs. Gray’s influence on the students and faculty of Northgate is widely felt and greatly appreciated.