Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Imani Githae and Elizabeth Martin

The famous tradition of spirit week is back! If you are unfamiliar with the concept of spirit week, don’t worry. Spirit week is the one week of the year in which every student in school dresses up to show their school spirit. Every year a different theme is chosen, and every day students dress up according to the theme in recognition of homecoming.This year’s main theme is “Blast from the past!” You can find the exact dates and the right attire, along with other articles on The Crimson Times . Even though this week is all about fun and coming together as a school, have you ever wondered where this idea of “spirit week” came from? Or how it came to our school in the first place?

Spirit week isn’t a new concept. According to Retro Junk,  the idea of spirit week started way back in 1952. “Referred to as ‘Friendship Week’ it later changed to ‘Spirit Week’ in the 60s.” Spirit week even waned a bit during certain decades. “Throughout that decade, the fun gradually died out, and it was not until the 1980s that spirit week made a comeback.” This ecstatic week was unbelievably blamed for vandalism. “around this time, vandalism rose and spirit week took the blame for all of the craziness.” “Students would resort to such malicious acts such as destroying the other classes’ homecoming parade floats and stealing road signs, often matching the year that they would be graduating.”

Despite the bad wrap spirit week acquired, eventually most high schools fully embraced the idea. “By the 1990s, 75 percent of schools in North America participated in spirit week.” So, when did spirit week become a tradition at our very own Northgate High school? We decided to ask one particular teacher, that has been here for many years to see if she knows.

10th grade Geometry teacher Ms.Perry has been teaching at Northgate since the very first students walked our halls. “I’ve been working at Northgate since the beginning in 96, and Spirit Week has been here ever since.”

Ms. Perry has helped Northgate carry on the tradition of spirit week since it first opened, and we’re not stopping now. Get ready for the cheerleading, pep rallies, football, and crazy outfits of spirit week.

Don’t forget to show your school spirit later this month starting September 18!!

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Saudi Arabia’s First Robot Citizen

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

26 Dead, 20 Injured in Texas Baptist Church Shooting

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Food

Don’t Forget There’s No Pumpkin (The History of Pumpkin Spice)

• News

Are Hall Passes Really Necessary?

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Atlanta United’s Inaugural Season Comes to an End

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Day of the Dead

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Stranger Things Season 2

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

2017 World Series

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

#MeToo: Casting Couch

• Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week

Opinions

How To Be An “A” Student

Homecoming 2017: Spirit Week