School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Elijah Barrow and Dylan Delucia

In school, we pay for more than we think we do. Things such as parking passes, book fees, lunches, and senior dues add up. Most students wonder where this money goes, and seeing the tattered textbooks and revolting bathrooms makes it unclear where this surplus is sent. On behalf of the student body, we wanted to find out what teachers and other staff members thought could be improved upon around Northgate High School.

Mrs. Gray, former Journalism and current British Literature teacher, let us know that she had a few things in mind for school improvements. “Northgate should purchase staples for the copiers, as they are able to staple packets for teachers, which would relieve a lot of workload for teachers.” She strongly believes that the time taken to staple packets together for kids could be used more efficiently. We also interviewed Mrs. Bowie, one of the school librarians, who had several recommendations of her own. She supported the idea to have more databases for students to have access to. She also mentioned that we need to purchase more technology, due to our decreasing interest in hard-copy books.

One option for the lack of technology would be to purchase Nooks, or other e-readers. These could be rented out, and we could read any book we needed through the e-reader. In order to handle the excess amounts of technology that are coming in, the wifi could be stronger and more stable.  

Regarding parking pass fees, Mr. Kesselring told us that the estimated $8,000 collected from parking passes goes to maintenance to the parking lot.

After interviewing several students about needs around Northgate, Davis McIntire, a student-athlete, says bathrooms and textbooks need to be upgraded. These requests have been made multiple times, by a few different students. We think this should be one of the main fixes that should be made towards Northgate with the excess money. Cameron Williams, Journalism II student, believes that the library book collection should be expanded.

It comes as no surprise that the students want improvements. However, when these improvements could improve our education, they should be implemented as soon as possible. Updated textbooks could make us more inclined to study and read outside of school, renovated bathrooms could relieve some students of stress. Certain kids find the bathrooms so revolting that they would rather hold it for an entire day. This urge can be quite distracting for a kid trying to learn quadratics.

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Saudi Arabia’s First Robot Citizen

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

26 Dead, 20 Injured in Texas Baptist Church Shooting

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Food

Don’t Forget There’s No Pumpkin (The History of Pumpkin Spice)

• News

Are Hall Passes Really Necessary?

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Atlanta United’s Inaugural Season Comes to an End

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Day of the Dead

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Stranger Things Season 2

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

2017 World Series

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

#MeToo: Casting Couch

• School Funding: Saving or Wasting?

Opinions

How To Be An “A” Student

School Funding: Saving or Wasting?