Standing For All The Wrong Reasons

Veterans speak out.

Marhyse Thompson, Sports Editor

For a game that doesn’t count for much, an event that occurred before the kickoff of the week 3 matchup took a serious turn for the worse after the game between the Green Bay Packers and the San Francisco 49ers. Pictures were taken of one of the quarterbacks in competition for the starting job for the 49ers: Colin Kaepernick, sitting down during the national anthem. After a 21 to 10 loss to the Packers, pictures started to appear over social media with Kaepernick sitting alone, while everyone else was standing for the anthem. The sports world was livid and until recently, people have only showed the hate towards Kaepernick. In recent days, the hatred has changed with people showing support for him yet not necessarily agreeing with him, stating that he has a right to say or do whatever he wants.

Northgate student, Carlisle Taylor doesn’t find it to be as big of a deal as people are making it. “It’s not that big of a deal.” he says. “He has a right to do what he wants.” Chip Kelly, the 49ers head coach, has stated that, “it’s not my right to tell him not to do something.” and said that it was, “his right as a citizen.” People have tweeted and used other forms of social media to either side with Kaepernick or to argue that he was in the wrong. Kaepernick was looking to come back from a terrible 2015-2016 season where he lost the starting job to Blaine Gabbert and went down with a season ending injury.

Recently, a hashtag was started for Veterans who stand for what Colin Kaepernick believes; the hashtag is named, “Veterans For Kaepernick” and when you click on it, it shows military members who show support for Kaepernick and what he is doing. The link also includes statements from Veterans who basically say that they wish that other people wouldn’t try to speak for them. One Twitter account owner Eli’jah Jordan, who serves in the Army, has recently posted his own opinion on the topic and tweeted, “Crazy the media is trying to tell how VETERANS feel about the Kap situation. I support him. #VeteransForKaepernick.” Whether you agree with him or not, Kaepernick will continue to sit as he says,¨To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way.¨