Remembering 9/11

REUTERS

The second tower of the World Trade Center bursts into flames after being hit by a hijacked airplane in New York in this September 11, 2001 file photograph. Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed in a firefight with U.S. forces in Pakistan on May 1, 2011, ending a nearly 10-year worldwide hunt for the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks. The Brooklyn bridge is seen in the foreground. REUTERS/Sara K. Schwittek/Files (UNITED STATES – Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST)

Justyce Clanton, Senior Editor

2016 is the first year in which ninth grade students will be learning about September eleventh as an event that occurred prior to their birth. Some Northgate students were old enough to remember the tragedy of September eleventh, while some were merely a few months old.

Freshmen Hailee Attaway recalls her first time learning about the tragedy in first grade as “sad.”   Hailee’s birthday is November 3, 2001, only two short months after the terrorist group, Al Qaeda, organized an attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Junior Leeya Patel recalls learning about the tragedy in school and going home that afternoon to ask her mom about how she recalls the day. “We were in the tanning salon watching everything happen live on TV and I obviously didn’t understand what was going on then.” Leeya then continues to say that when she was finally old enough to understand what happened, she was “scared because that could have happened anywhere.” Leeya was born on October 28, 1999 and believes “being alive during such a tragedy changes how you feel about it. People born afterwards don’t have as much of a personal connection to September eleventh, because to them, it is just history.”

On September 7, 2001, my little brother was born. Because he was born with Jaundice, he was kept in the hospital for a few days after birth. On September 11, 2001, we were finally able to bring my little brother home.

All of a sudden, my dad turned the radio up nearly as high as possible. I remember staring at my parents and wondering what was going on. My dad pulled the car to the side of the road and parked. My parents both just looked at each other in disbelief and my mom started crying. The radio station had just announced that a plane had struck one of the Twin Towers.

I remember that day for many reasons. Most importantly, it was one of the first memories I’ve ever had with my little brother. What stood out the most however, is that to this day, I have never seen the same look of distress on my parents’ faces.

Whether students look back on the day through history books or even personal experiences, September 11, 2001 will live in our past forever.